Letters to the Editors

A vote for students

A Liberal government will provide students with thousands of dollars to help them stay out of debt and give all students, regardless of income, a shot at university.

With the “Learning Passport” program, Michael Ignatieff has made it his priority to make university life easier. All post-secondary students will be given a minimum of $4000 over 4 years and those with limited means, $6000 over 4 years.

There are no prerequisites to qualify for this money. All you have to do is open an RESP to be eligible for the program. The Liberal party believes that the cost of education should not keep students from pursuing their dreams and careers.

How will this plan help all Canadians? Already two thirds of parents believe that they will not be able to pay for their children’s education.

Every parent wants to help their child pay for post secondary education, but Michael Ignatieff knows that “the cost of college and university is slipping out of reach for too many families.” This plan will cost only $1 billion and with that money the Liberal Party will help students who have been long forgotten by the Harper regime. Some Conservatives have argued that this endeavour is too costly.

Let’s put this into perspective: recently we’ve seen ruinous spending from the Harper government, including $30 billion on fighter jets, $10-13 billion on new mega prisons (despite an all time low in crime) and an internationally unprecedented expenditure of $1 billion on the G8/G20 Summit. Canada is now in the largest financial deficit of its history.

It’s time to invest in the things that matter: students, families and education. On May 2 your vote will determine whether a plan for university students comes into action. We should vote for a government that wants to help students realize their full potential.

Kyle Richardson, ArtSci ’12

Policy Director, Queen’s University Liberal Association

Editor's, Letters, the, to