Faculty union & administration take break from mediation to consider offers

Negotiators stay at the bargaining table past deadline

After more than 18 hours of bargaining, Queen’s University Faculty Association (QUFA) and University administration postponed mediation talks.

“They’ve broken off to consider offers,” QUFA President Paul Young said, adding that the two sides will likely reconvene on Tuesday.

Though the two parties were in a legal strike or lockout position as of 12:01 a.m., mediation continued through the deadline until approximately 5 a.m. on Monday morning.

On Sunday afternoon, Young had said he hoped a settlement would result from the talks.

“There’s a lot of anxiety,” he said. “There are issues that weren’t resolved as of [Sunday] morning, but sometimes everything falls into place very quickly.”

In a blog posted on Sunday, QUFA stated that "no news is good news."

“As long as they're still talking, that’s positive,” Young said. “The moment they stop and say forget it, then we have to think about what our choices are at that point.”

QUFA and Queen’s administration have been in negotiations since January.

A communication blackout was recently put in place for mediation.

"It means that no detailed of the talks will be released," Queen's spokesperson Ellie Sadinsky said. "The communication blackout continues."

See queensjournal.ca for updates.

—With files from Clare Clancy