Gaels blow out Blues

The men’s rugby team opened their season with a 71-0 win on Saturday

Captain Dan Moor runs with the ball on Saturday.
Image by: Corey Lablans

The men’s rugby team won their season opener with a dramatic margin, beating the University of Toronto Varsity Blues 71-0 on Saturday at Tindall Field. 11 different players scored tries in the game.

Captain and outside centre Dan Moor led the team with one try and seven conversions while 8-man Dylan McTavish scored two tries.

Garry Gilks is the Gaels’ interim coach while head coach Peter Huigenbos is in New Zealand as a Team Canada coach.

Gilks said the game shouldn’t be used to predict the Gaels’ success this season.

“We are looking forward to the next two weeks where we will be tested much harder,” he said. “That’s where I can assess where we are at and where we have to go.”

Moor said Saturday’s game was just the first step of the season.

The Gaels came into the game after a successful preseason road trip to New Hampshire last week, where they beat Dartmouth College and Dartmouth University. Moor said the trip had off-field benefits.

“We decided to camp and cook meals together as a team for two nights,” Moor said. “It was definitely a bonding experience.”

Gaels, Men's rugby, Varisty Blues