Surplus expected for the first time since 2007

Common Ground beats budgeted summer deficit by $16,000, while TAPS runs above-average deficit

Common Ground head manager Sam Guertin said the AMS food service had improved sales this summer compared to last summer.

If high sales continue, Common Ground will beat its budget and come in at a $2,000 surplus by the end of the year.

This would be the first year since 2007 that the AMS food service has had a surplus.

Despite this, Common Ground incurred a $58,000 over the summer — a figure that’s $16,000 better than was projected in the service’s annual budget.

Common Ground head manager Sam Guertin said when she made the budget in May, she projected the business would suffer a $74,000 deficit over the four summer months.

“Last summer, we were busy for the month of May and June and then we faltered off because high school students were out of school,” Guertin, ArtSci ’11, said.

“But, this year I don’t know where the people came from in July and August, but we ended up doing a couple thousand more than last summer.”

Guertin said she budgeted for a slight surplus this year and that the $58,000 deficit would be eradicated by the end of the year.

AMS Hospitality and Safety Services director Gracie Goad said when Common Ground first moved from the JDUC to the Queen’s Centre, the Board of Directors gave the service a five-year timeline to chip away at its over $100,000 deficit.

“This is year three and for us to say that this year we’re predicting a surplus is to say, ‘You gave us a five-year timeline, but we actually did it in three’,” she said.

Goad said all AMS services are budgeted to have a controlled deficit for the four summer months due to the decrease in students on campus.

“Every year, we re-evaluate whether it’s worth staying open or whether we should shut down. We would still have to pay rent on the space, even if we were shut down,” she said.

Goad said that the reason Common Ground is doing so well is because it’s more established than when it first moved to the Queen’s Centre.

“People now know where Common Ground is and people now appreciate the product that we’re delivering,” she said.

The other student-run food service, the AMS Pub Service (TAPS), which includes Queen’s Pub and Alfie’s, always incurs a larger summer deficit than CoGro, Goad said.

“What we’re projecting is about a $90,000 deficit and $50,000 of that is due to costs that we can’t control, like space allocation and administrative charges,” she said.

The TAPS deficit was higher than usual this summer due the closure of QP for renovations in May.

“We closed to re-do the floors and that involved ripping out the old subfloor and putting in new subfloor and then putting in the oak floor on top of that,” she said.

Goad said TAPS is projected to make $1.5 million in revenue by the end of the school year, while CoGro is projected to make $1.1 million in revenue.