Mixed results on road

Men’s soccer upsets Toronto but falls to Ryerson

The men’s soccer team split their road trip to Toronto last weekend, beating the Toronto Varsity Blues 2-0 on Saturday and losing 3-2 to the Ryerson Rams on Sunday.

Before Saturday’s game, the Varsity Blues had four straight wins against the Gaels, including a 1-0 decision in Kingston on Sept. 25 and an OUA quarter-final defeat last season.

The Varsity Blues had a majority of the possession at Varsity Stadium, but the Gaels managed the opening goal when fullback Adrian Rochford scored late in the first half. Striker Lucas Lobo scored his first goal of the season late in the second half and goalkeeper Dylan Maxwell recorded his third shutout of the year.

Captain Jordan Brooks said the Gaels were familiar with the Varsity Blues’ style.

“We didn’t outplay them,” he said. “Our game plan was to let them have the possession [and] not panic if we didn’t see too much of the ball.”

On Sunday, the Gaels started slowly, trailing 2-0 at halftime. Brooks and fullback Robert Lannan both scored in the second half, but the Rams prevailed 3-2.

The team moves to fourth in the OUA East with a 5-4-1 record after the weekend.

The Gaels will finish their season with a series against the OUA’s two northern teams. They’ll visit the Laurentian Voyageurs in Sudbury and the Nipissing Lakers in North Bay this weekend and then host both teams in Kingston the following weekend.

Brooks said results up north are unpredictable. The Rams lost to the Voyageurs 4-1 in Sudbury on Oct. 12.

“It just goes to prove we can’t take them lightly. They’re going to be a tough team,” Brooks said.

Jordan Brooks, Men’s Soccer, Toronto Varsity Blues