Gaels advance to final four

Women’s soccer beats Carleton Ravens, one game from

Captain Kelli Chamberlain left Sunday's game with a knee injury. Head coach Dave McDowell said it's uncertain whether she'll play next weekend.
Image by: Jeff Peters

The women’s soccer team looked like national contenders on Sunday, dominating the Carleton Ravens in an OUA quarter-final win. The OUA’s leading scorer, Jackie Tessier, posted two goals and OUA East MVP Riley Filion added a late goal in the 3-0 victory at West Campus.

Captain Kelli Chamberlain was forced to leave the game in the second half after a slide-tackle to her knee. McDowell said he’s unsure whether Chamberlain will play next weekend.

Head coach Dave McDowell said his team’s bye week allowed players to recover from injuries. The Ravens faced the Laurentian Voyageurs in a playoff game on Wednesday.

“We still had some lingering injuries,” McDowell said. “It was nice to have some time to work through those.”

Tessier’s first goal came in the 10th minute. She scored again early in the second half, with captain Kelli Chamberlain providing the assist. Filion’s goal came in the 84th minute.

Tessier said she’s confident that backup players will fill Chamberlain’s role.

“We’re a very deep team,” Tessier said. “We have players that can come in and do the job.”

The Gaels continue their playoff run next weekend at the OUA final four in Waterloo. They play a semifinal on Saturday against the McMaster Marauders. The winner qualifies for nationals and advances to the OUA final on Sunday.

Jackie Tessier, Kelli Chamberlain, Riley Filion, Women's soccer