One-shot battle

21 Brothers reveals the emotional plight of local First World War soldiers

Director Michael McGuire
Image supplied by: Supplied by Steven McQuaid
Director Michael McGuire

The Kingston-based film 21 Brothers may have set a new Guinness World Record for the longest film shot with a single camera.

“We didn’t plan on it, we kind of lucked out,” director and producer Michael McGuire said of the film being shot in one take.

The film can be verified as the longest single take film once it’s shown tonight at the Screening Room.

Clayton Garrett, who produced, wrote and acted in the film, met with McGuire in December 2008 to discuss the idea of filming the story in Kingston. After a year and a half of writing and research, a story was built around the Canadian 21st Battalion, based out of southeastern Ontario. The film is entirely shot in Kingston with over 60 local cast and crew members.

“One of the reasons why we did the one take thing is I knew locally that we had a lot of good theatre actors, but most of them didn’t have a lot of film experience,” McGuire said. “So I thought doing a one take might be a good way to sort of bridge that.”

Watching the film is like walking on stage during a theatre performance — you’re a part of the action. The camera is acknowledged as a physical presence in the story.

“Hey look, we’re in the movies. I always thought I had the good looks for the pictures,” Private Banks says in the film when he notices the camera.

The film is a 91-minute glimpse into the life of soldiers who lived, fought and died in the trenches at the battle of Flers-Courcelette in the First World War. This battle was the first ever to see the use of tanks and took place during the Somme offensive in France in 1916.

From the opening shot, it’s clear this is not a traditional war film. 21 Brothers begins with a group of soldiers routinely dodging artillery fire, but then settles into dialogue for the rest of the film. The dialogue addresses many of the realities of the First World War and the difference of modern warfare.

Because of the shoestring budget, special effects are limited to a few explosions, some blood and the rotten foot of Private Reid. Instead of focusing on intense visuals, machine gun fire and battle-ridden landscapes, 21 Brothers explores the devastating psychology of war.

“I want to go home … I’m going home,” Private Langdon says before running into no man’s land. Private Langdon is 14 and from Sydenham, but he wanted to fight overseas so he lied about his age.

21 Brothers will run from today until Nov. 17 at the Screening Room. See moviesinkingston.com for show times.

21 Brothers, Film, First World War, Guiness World Records, Michael McGuire, The Screening Room