Playoff chances dwindle

Gaels lose home games against Laurentian and York to fall to 0-12

Guard Ryan Golden loses possession of the ball against the York Lions on Saturday.
Image by: Corey Lablans

Poor shooting cost the men’s basketball team two home games over the weekend, bumping their season record to 0-12 and dropping them four points out of a playoff spot.

The Gaels were outscored in every quarter during Friday night’s 74-61 loss to the Laurentian Voyageurs. They didn’t bounce back the following night, losing 66-62 to the York Lions.

Laurentian scored 30 points from three-point line, while the Gaels only made one three-pointer on 16 attempts.

Aside from poor perimeter coverage, forward Alex Weatherill said he was happy with his team’s defensive play — the Gaels came up with 11 steals.

“Our offence gets a lot of its energy from our defence,” he said. “And I think we did a good job of bringing it tonight.”

Weatherill contributed 13 points, six rebounds, and four assists, while forward Nikola Misljencevic had a team-high 16 points.

The Lions came out strong Saturday night at the ARC, outscoring the Gaels 23-16 in the first quarter and maintaining a seven-point lead until half.

The Lions started to pull away in the third quarter, putting up 21 points and a rare two-handed dunk from forward Justin Bell. But the Gaels were able to stick around, scoring 21 points of their own.

In the fourth quarter, three-pointers from Gaels forward Mackenzie Simpson and guard Mike Farine brought the Gaels within two points with seven seconds left, but the Lions held on.

Fourth-year forward Bernard Burgesson said missed free throws were the reason for Saturday’s loss. The Gaels were 15 for 26 from the free throw line. Burgesson was three for six.

“The game was in our control with regards to free throws,” he said. “We’ve got some work to do … myself included.” This weekend, the Gaels head to Ottawa to play the Ottawa Gee-Gees and the top-ranked Carleton Ravens. Gaels’ head coach Stephan Barrie said it would be difficult to beat the Ravens away from home.

“They have some of the best players in the country and they have the top coach in the country,” he said. “As long as we go in and play as hard as we can, play tough, and leave everything on the floor, then I’ll be very satisfied.” Saturday’s loss to the Lions may have ended the Gaels’ playoff hopes — the Gaels remain winless while York is four points ahead at 2-11 and in sole possession of the sixth and final playoff spot in the OUA East.

Men's Basketball, Ryan Golden, Stephen Barrie