Student appears at AMS court over house party

Judicial hearing rules against second-year and orders him to write report

The AMS Judicial Affairs Office in the JDUC deals with cases of non-academic discipline on campus and the surrounding area.
Image by: Asad Chishti

A second-year Commerce student will have to pay Queen’s $100 if he fails to follow the rules of the Queen’s Code of Conduct again.

Michael Friedman was brought to an AMS judicial hearing after he contested a report filed by Campus Security surrounding a party at his Earl Street home in September.

AMS Judicial Affairs Deputy Andrew Green was assigned to Friedman’s case as part of the AMS non-academic discipline system. He said Campus Security arrived at Friedman’s house at 12:45 a.m on Sept. 11.

“When Campus Security came for the first time, they issued a warning to Michael to shut the party down and stop the noise,” Green, ArtSci ’11, said.

Campus Security came to an agreement with Friedman that he would stop the party, but later received a second complaint, said Green. Campus Security then notified the Queen’s Emergency Response Centre who notified Kingston bylaw enforcement.

It was at this point that Kingston bylaw enforcement issued two $235 fines to the six tenants of the Earl Street house.

Friedman said his other housemates split the two fines amongst themselves and the 30 people who were at the party. Friedman chose to not pay the fine.

“What’s incorrect about that is Campus Security didn’t tell me to shut it down, but to quiet down,” Friedman, Comm ’14, said at the hearing on Tuesday night. It’s the first open hearing to be held for the 2011-12 academic year.

Friedman said he told his housemates that Campus Security officers had asked them to quiet down. He then left the party.

“I relayed the message that Campus Security gave to me to the people who were actually hosting the party, then I did my own thing,” he said.

Two of Friedman’s housemates decided to adhere to the sanctions imposed by the Judicial Affairs Committee and their cases were settled in closed hearings, Friedman said.

At the hearing, Friedman was found to be in violation of sections one through four of the Queen’s Student Code of Conduct.

These sections state that a student must abide by the Code of Conduct, abide by the Criminal Code of Canada, comply with Queen’s Campus Security and Kingston Police and not give false information to a judicial body authorized by the University.

After the six-member Judicial Committee deliberated, it was unanimously decided that Friedman would be subjected to the $100 trigger bond, meaning he will only pay the fine if he violates the Code of Conduct again in the next year.

He also has to write a two-page response addressing his responsibilities as a tenant and what he would do differently in a future situation.

The committee cited their reason for applying the sanctions to be that even if it wasn’t Friedman’s party, as a tenant he is still responsible for what goes on in his house.

Friedman said he wouldn’t adhere to the sanctions.

AMS, court, Student Housing