Guard keeps scoring

Moore moves to fourth on all-time OUA scoring list

Guard Brittany Moore led all scorers with a combined 50 points in two games against the Royal Military College Paladins this weekend.
Image by: Simona Markovik

Brittany Moore keeps moving up the OUA all-time scoring chart.

The fifth-year guard drained a three-pointer late in the third quarter on Saturday to climb to fourth on the OUA scoring list.

Over the weekend, she helped extend the women’s basketball team’s winning streak to three games after two straight wins over the Royal Military College Paladins. She posted 29 points in Friday’s 60-53 victory and 21 more in a 72-45 win on Saturday, leading all scorers in both games.

Moore is currently at 1,603 points. She trails former Brock Badgers guard Jodie Ebeling, who tallied 1,624 points in her career from 2002-07. But she said she hasn’t thought too much about her ranking.

“What’s sinking in most for me right now is that I’m almost done playing,” she said. “It’s really cool to end this way.”

The Gaels started slowly at RMC on Friday night, missing their first eight shots and only registering their first points after three and a half minutes of action.

The Paladins only trailed by three points with two minutes left in the game, but wing Meaghan MacDougall made a three-pointer to seal a seven-point lead for the Gaels.

“There’s that fear factor of losing to a team that is weaker than you,” head coach Dave Wilson said. “And that was a bigger factor than I had expected.”

Moore scored more points than the entire Paladins team in the second quarter — she notched nine points while the Paladins totalled eight.

On Saturday, the Gaels jumped out to a quick lead and never looked back, outscoring the Paladins in every quarter.

Guard Rachael Urosevic beat the buzzer at the end of the third quarter with a three-pointer, increasing the Gaels’ lead to 59-33. With the game well beyond reach, Moore sat out of the final quarter.

With the wins, the Gaels improve to 10-8 and sit fourth in the OUA East. The eighth-place Paladins drop to 0-18.

This weekend, the Gaels host the first-place Ottawa Gee-Gees on Friday and the second-ranked Carleton Ravens on Saturday. The Gaels lost to both teams when they travelled to Ottawa on Jan. 20 and 21.

Brittany Moore, women's basketball