A little bit of grit

Young Rival plans the launch of their sophomore album, featuring a lighter sound

Young Rival will be counting heads in the audience at the Grad Club tonight.

The rock trio says attendance at shows is crucial to their self-esteem.

“What I love about touring is it’s the best way to get a sense of how well the band is doing,” said drummer Noah Fralick. “You could sell a lot of records, but if you’re not connecting with people and they’re not coming to shows, or you don’t feel that chemistry.”

The band is touring Canada ahead of the release of their untitled sophomore album, which they recorded in August.

“We’re just in the midst of sorting out when it’s going to come out exactly, but it’s maybe not going to be until the fall,” he said. “We’re really hoping it will be a bit before.

“But we’re definitely going to up until then release like one or two singles in advance of the release.”

Fralick, vocalist Aron D’Alesio and bassist John Smith worked with producer Jon Drew on Young Rival’s 2010 self-titled debut, as well as their upcoming album. Drew has produced albums for Fucked Up, Arkells and Tokyo Police Club.

“On this next record, we more so explored that lighter, more melodic sound,” Fralick said. “But at the same side we’re a rock and roll band at heart.”

The band recorded the album in Toronto over 10 days. Fralick said they went into the studio with a clear plan of action.

“We’ve never been a band who go into a studio without songs,” he said. “We always have everything totally tight and ready to go.”

Of course, Fralick acknowledges that sometimes creativity comes out in the studio.

“I mean when you’re in the studio, you go in hoping for one thing, but you know sometimes certain sounds will come out that you didn’t expect to come out,” he said. “You’re always sort of adapting to the way that the sounds are actually coming out when we start recording.”

While they sort out the release date for their new album, Young Rival is quite content with touring.

“We play music every night, new city, new stage, new audience and at times it’s a bit monotonous, it’s sort of like drive, play, sleep, repeat,” he said. “Touring Canada is difficult because there’s so much space between cities, but ultimately it’s a lot of fun. That’s what makes it hard to give up.”

Young Rival play the Grad Club with Dinosaur Bones tonight. Doors open at 9 p.m. and the show starts at 10 p.m.

Interview, Noah Fralick, Young Rival