Running back commits

Three former teammates also joining Gaels

Football recruit Steven Trivieri moved to Virginia and played for the Stone Bridge Bulldogs before committing to Queen’s.
Image supplied by: Supplied

Running back Stephen Trivieri will join the Queen’s football team in 2012, returning to Canada after spending his senior year of high school in the U.S.

Trivieri, a Toronto native, moved to Ashburn, Virginia for his final high school season, scoring 23 touchdowns in 12 games with the Stone Bridge Bulldogs.

A former member of the Toronto Jr. Argonauts of the Canadian Junior Football League, Trivieri attended Lawrence Park Collegiate Institute and St. Michael’s College School in Toronto before transferring to Stone Bridge.

After entertaining scholarship offers from several NCAA Division II schools, Trivieri ultimately committed to the Gaels.

“There are a lot of St. Mike’s boys playing there now. After evaluating all my options, I decided that [Queen’s] was a good fit,” he said.

Trivieri’s powerful running style and willingness to fight for extra yards should allow him to compete for a feature spot within a talented Queen’s backfield.

Like all incoming rookies, Trivieri will be confronted by the faster pace and increased physicality of university football. Unlike most recruits, he will also have to readjust to the technical differences of the Canadian game following his season in Virginia.

“I just want to come in, learn the system and work hard,” Trivieri said. “I plan on giving everything on the football field, and hopefully it works out.”

Three of Trivieri’s former teammates at St. Michael’s College School are also part of the Gaels’ 2012 recruiting class:

Max Townsend

Quarterback Max Townsend was a two-time captain and team MVP at St. Michael’s. A three-sport athlete in high school, Townsend was the top-rated quarterback at the 2011 Queen’s Elite Passing Camp.

Originally from Halifax, Townsend will enter the Commerce program at Queen’s. Townsend will compete for a backup spot behind incumbent starter Billy McPhee in his rookie season.

Peter Boivin

Offensive lineman Peter Boivin won the Outstanding Lineman Award in his final season at St. Michael’s. A conference All-Star and a member of Team Ontario East at the 2011 Canada Cup, Boivin will join a loaded offensive line recruiting class for Queen’s in 2012.

Boivin will follow in the footsteps of his uncle, Michael O’Shaughnessy, who suited up for the Gaels in the early 1970s.

Josh Jordan

Defensive back Josh Jordan played alongside Boivin for Team Ontario East at the 2011 Canada Cup. A two-sport athlete at St. Michael’s, Jordan was team captain of the Toronto Jr. Argonauts, Trivieri’s former club team.

A prospective engineering student, Jordan will fight for playing time as a rookie in a defensive backfield full of returning veterans.