Queen’s not signing copyright agreement

University will face costs by not signing Access agreement

Queen’s won’t be signing the Access Copyright model license, the University announced today. The announcement comes two days before Queen’s was required to make a final decision.

In May, the University signed a letter of intent to sign the model licence. The licence would have come with a fee of up to $22.50 per full-time student.

Various groups, including the AMS, the Society of Graduate and Professional Students and the Queen’s University Librarians and Archivists, urged Queen’s not to support the copyright agreement.

“We remain committed to respecting copyright interests and adhering to existing copyright legislation, and university policies and guidelines,” Principal Daniel Woolf announced on Thursday. “We are, however, convinced our decision not to sign the licence is in the best long-term academic interests of the university based on feedback and consultation with multiple campus groups,.”

He added Queen’s will face costs associated with not signing, but he believes declining is the “fairer course.”

Development of copyright policies and practices will continue as the University moves forward, a media release said.

Watch queensjournal.ca for updates as they develop.

Access, Copyright