Not the wildest bunch

Abandon All Ships lead singer says visiting new cities on tour is not as exciting after the first time

Angelo Aita (centre) is one of the lead singers in Abandon All Ships. He sings the profane
Image by: Supplied

In true rock star fashion, Abandon All Ships kills the gig and gets the girl.

“A couple years ago when we came, we had a house party with some guys,” lead singer Angelo Aita said. “I remember a pretty girl from Kingston who came up and asked me for my number. To be honest, I probably gave it to her.”

While Aita may be charming, he can still produce the band’s signature hardcore music. Abandon All Ships isn’t just a techno band or a rap group, for them it’s a game of give and take.

With two lead singers — one for the unclean rap lyrics and one for the melodious, clean ones, they’re no everyday band. Aita is responsible for the former, while Martin Broda sings the latter.

“We’re on tour right now and we’re excited to be back in Kingston,” he said. “Right now we’re in Thunder Bay and we’re trying to smash the door in because the lock on our van broke.” At this point I’m laughing out loud, having had personal experience with the city myself.

Aita then tells me my voice was cutting in and out over the phone, but attributes it to his location.

“Thunder Bay is a city for sure, but it’s kind of in the middle of nowhere. That’s probably why you’re cutting out.” Touring is one of the better parts of his job, he said.

“We tour so much that living with each other is so normal. There’s not a point of getting sick of each other, it’s a general hate point,” he said. “Just kidding.”

Travelling all over North America doesn’t get old, Aita said, but the sites aren’t as exciting the second, third and fourth time around.

“We’re getting boring — we used to be so much fun when we were younger. Every time we visit Philadelphia, we definitely don’t go ‘Holy shit! Let’s go to the Rocky steps and run up and down them!’ ”

The band maintains that despite their popularity, they keep focused on their music. “We do our jobs and move on,” he said. “We obviously party, but we’re not the crazy wasted band that we see in the venue. We’re good Canadian boys.”

Abandon All Ships plays the Mansion tomorrow at 6 p.m.

Abandon All Ships, Rocky, The Mansion