Julie Doiron’s due for a break

Julie Doiron discusses why she’s taking a pause from making music

Folk musician Julie Doiron says after touring for 20 years
Image by: Supplied

Don’t be surprised if Julie Doiron shows up late for her own show.

Arriving last minute is one of the Juno award-winning folksinger’s favourite ways to perform.

“I love being late for a show,” she said. “Just getting there and having no other choice but getting right on stage … You don’t have time to get nervous or think about what you’re going to do.” As much as Doiron enjoys the thrill of running late, she’s trying not to make it a habit.

“I’m a little more responsible these days and I try to show up to the shows on time.” With So Many Days, her ninth album under her belt, Doiron has chalked up an impressive two decades worth of touring experience — but life on the road doesn’t come cheap.

Instead of getting hotel rooms each night, Doiron prefers staying over at people’s houses, whether they be friends or complete strangers.

“I just announce it from the stage that I’m looking for a place to stay and people always offer,” she said. “Everyone’s always been super nice and really welcoming and way more hospitable than they have to be.”

Even though she loves the touring life, according to Doiron, this may be her last tour.

“Once I do all the required touring that’s already booked, I’m not planning on touring for quite a while,” she admitted. “I’m planning on taking quite a long break.”

Doiron is considering looking for a job outside of music once her tour wraps up Feb 2.

“I’ve been touring for 20 years and it’s always fun … but I think something that has happened to me in the last year is that I often dread doing music because now it’s totally become my job.”

It’s easy to lose excitement over performing after doing it for so long, she said.

“I just want to try music as a hobby and really have fun doing that and not rely on it as a job and actually find the joy in playing again.”

Julie Doiron plays the Grad Club on Saturday at 9 p.m.

Interview, Julie Doiron, So Many Days