Topped by top teams

Four starters sidelined as Gaels suffer pair of hefty losses

The Ottawa Gee-Gees and the Carleton Ravens capitalized on the depleted, injury-ravaged Gaels over the weekend.

The Gaels lost 66-43 to Ottawa on Friday and 64-38 to Carleton on Saturday.

Third-year wing Rachel Urosevic and rookies Emily Hazlett, Robyn Pearson, and Nicole Morse took on larger roles in the absence of four starters.

The Gee-Gees bookended Friday night’s game with double-digit runs.

Ottawa got off to a 15-0 start before a jumper by Hazlett ended the Gaels’ drought.

The Gaels gradually cut the deficit to three, but the Gee-Gees quickly answered with an 18-0 fourth-quarter run to ice the game.

Despite their losing effort, Gaels coach Dave Wilson saw positives from his team.

“This is what we needed to find out: when the going gets really tough, who’s going to go and who’s going to lie down?” Wilson said. “We got some great performances out of our rookies who just said ‘No, I’m going to play hard and stand up to this and compete.’”

Carleton’s defence frustrated the Gaels on Saturday, forcing 28 turnovers and limiting Queen’s to 30.6 per cent shooting from the field.

Urosevic was the only player able to score in double-digits with 11 points. Second-year wing Jenny Wright wasn’t able to find her groove as she shot 1-8 for the night.

“I was still impressed with the gutsy performance by some of our rookies and second-year players, so I think it bodes well for our future,” Wilson said.

Gaels, OUA, women's basketball