Spiralling down the final stretch

OUA East woes persist as losing skid reaches six

Guard Liz Boag (above) hit four of 10 field goal attempts against Carleton.
Image by: Tiffany Lam

Fourth-year co-captain Sydney Kernahan may have played her final home game on Saturday.

The Gaels’ final home stand featured a 90-54 loss to the Carleton Ravens on Friday and a 67-53 loss to the Ottawa Gee-Gees Saturday.

With their losing streak now at six, Queen’s has two road games remaining to right the ship before playoffs.

In her four years with the club, Kernahan worked her way up the roster, becoming co-captain in her final year.

“It’s been an amazing experience playing for Queen’s,” Kernahan said. “I put my heart and soul into this team.”

Fellow co-captain Liz Boag is one who holds Kernahan to a high regard.

“I look up to [Kernahan] a lot because she’s a player who had nothing given to her,” Boag said. “She works day in and day out and is one of the hardest workers I know.”

Head coach Dave Wilson also spoke highly of Kernahan’s four-year career.

“[Sydney] is such a great player, but even more so a great person,” Wilson said. “She’s not a kid I’m looking forward to having a team without because she also provides great leadership in addition to all the things she does on the court.”

Against the Gee-Gees, she collected 13 rebounds, scored six points, and tallied three steals.

Despite playing their final home game of the regular season, Wilson believes his team will see another game at home.

“I don’t plan for it to be our last game here at home because we’re going to get a playoff game here,” Wilson said. “We’re working our ass off to make it happen.”

The Gaels suffered their worst loss of the season against the Ravens on Friday, losing by 36 points.

They shot 32.7 per cent from the field to the Ravens’ 47.6 per cent and were outrebounded 45 to 28. All of the Ravens’ starters scored in double digits, led by fifth-year Alyson Bush with 18 points.

Jenny Wright and Boag finished with 16 and 11 points, respectively.

The Gaels will close out the regular season on the road against the Laurentian Lady Vees next Friday and the York Lions on Saturday.

Gaels, Gee-Gees, Kernahan, Ravens, women's basketball