Easing admissions for international students

Queen’s partners with school board to bring more students from abroad to study in Kingston

Queen’s is implementing a new program that seeks to provide an opportunity for a better cultural transition for international students.  

The program, in response to increasing international enrolment, will allow international students to attend Queen’s after completing their high school diplomas at public schools in Kingston.

It’s organized in conjunction with Limestone District School Board (LDSB).

Students will be admitted to the program based on Grade 11 scores. They will complete a summer English language program and designated Grade 12 courses in Kingston, before embarking on their studies at Queen’s.

“We are really hoping that this will help combat some of the additional transition issues that international students face when they arrive here in September,” said Ann Tierney, vice-provost and dean of student affairs. “[They] are not accustomed to the climate or the city or the learning style or some of the academic requires so this provides a nice opportunity to support [them].”

Selected applicants will live with host families while completing their high school diplomas. 

Admission to Queen’s will be contingent on Grade 12 performance and the completion of the transitional language programs, similar to domestic applicants.

Though enrolment logistics are still being determined, Tierney said that the joint initiative will be targeted towards Asian and European students, with a maximum of 12-18 students in the summer bridging programs.

“We are working with our already defined Queen’s international priority countries where we do recruitment, which includes China,” she said.

Students would pay the same fees as regular international students, Tierney said, in addition to program-specific fees for summer English courses and Limestone School Board international fees.

“We are finalizing all of the details of the program with [LDSB],” she said. “Our hope is to start the recruiting process for students as we would for our normal recruiting this fall, which means they wouldn’t start grade 12 until the fall of 2014 and then start Queen’s in the fall of 2015.”

Enrolment