Homecoming celebration details revealed

Fall tradition will see greater focus on networking, alumni relations and community

Image by: File Photo

After a four-year ban on Homecoming, the University’s administration is envisioning the return of a celebration of community.

The tradition, split up between the weekends of Oct. 5 and 19, will see over 90 events aimed to reconnect alumni and provide networking opportunities for students.

Some of the most anticipated events include the re-painting of the class of 1988’s crest alongside first-year students, barbeques at Richardson Stadium and business networking events at the Grad Club with a goal of connecting students to alumni.

The Friday afternoon networking events, coordinated by the School of Graduate Studies as well as Alumni Relations and the Chamber of Commerce in Kingston, will provide students with the opportunity to connect with alumni and Kingston business leaders.

Over 200 people have registered to attend the events, according to Sarah Indewey, manager of volunteer relations and reunions at Queen’s Alumni Relations.

Registration won’t close until the event is over. “The first weekend will be highlighting the 25th reunion class of 1988, [and] the second weekend is highlighting the class of 1963, […] celebrating their 60th reunion,” Indewey said.

An event called Queen’s Gives Back, taking place on both Sunday mornings at 9:30 am, will be organized in partnership with the United Way focusing on the theme of food security. She said this will connect students and alumni by gathering donations of non-perishable food items to support students and community members in need, engaging student leadership and community engagement.

Most events will be outdoors including a 3 km TriColour Run, developed by the AMS, starting and ending at Grant Hall. Participants will wear white and be painted over in tricolour.

“[It’s] themed after The Color Run in the United States,” she said.

Steven Koopman, media relations officer at the Kingston Police Force (KPF), said that dividing the festivities over two different weekends will prevent one large party.

However, he said this offers logistical challenges as the police will need to prepare for both weekends.

“We are split between two weekends this year, so we will have to stay on top of it,” he said.

While external agencies including other police units and community volunteers have been utilized during previous fall events, the police are hoping that this will be unnecessary. The KPF will be working closely with the AMS Municipal Affairs Commission and the university to monitor whether one weekend will be rowdier than another.

Koopman said that Aberdeen St. will continue to operate normally. He couldn’t determine the number of officers the KPF plans to deploy, but said all officers will be incorporated in some way.

He also said their main concerns involve binge drinking, alcohol poisoning, students falling off roofs and safety hazards from overcrowded building and residences. Officers will be looking for underage drinking, public intoxication and open liquor.

Alumni, Homecoming