Products to bring out the artist in you

Applications on select devices allow everyday users to participate in the global arts community

• Arts
Image by: Jonah Eisen

Choosing the best smartphone applications can be a daunting process, especially if you want to conserve memory while making full use of the product. Some of us, if not all of us, also look for functionality and information.

These five different applications focus on everything arts-related, from music to literature. Here’s the best part — they’re all free for you to try out yourself.

Band of the Day: If you’re always looking out for new bands, or bored with your current playlists, this application was made for you. Each day of the week, there’s a newly-discovered band listed, a preview of their music to hear and a short bio on the musicians — new music at your fingertips.

Available on: iPhone, iPad

Digital Theatre: This application promises “the best of British theatre available to the world.” The interface makes it easy to select a production, which presents the synopsis, trailer and cast list. The catch? You have to make an account and purchase a full viewing of productions.

Available on: iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch

Goodreads: This incredible application does it all. You can scan the barcode of books you find at the store to read and write reviews, or add it to your to-read book list. It offers the options of downloading eBooks, tracking your reading progress, joining literature groups or exploring a virtual library of literature at your fingertips.

Available on: iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android (future release)

Shazam: This impressive technological feat allows its users, with the click of a button, to know the name of any song playing within the room. Once it recognizes the song, it stores it in your tags and pairs it with album art. It also has a map feature that allows you to view songs currently playing on the radio in your area. As if those features aren’t enough, users can also see what their friends have tagged.

Available on: iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Windows Phone, Windows 8, Blackberry, Nokia

SketchBookX: Welcome to every visual artist’s dream — a virtual sketchpad. With the ability to undo all of your drawings, there’s no risk of wasting paper. The user can choose between a variety of sketching tools and colours. An erase tool is offered, as well as the option of drawing with a mirror effect.

Available on: iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android

application, Art, smart phone