Queen’s tops Windsor, stays atop the OUA

McPhee wins quarterback duel as Gaels enter bye week undefeated

Defensive back Will Zed intercepted Windsor quarterback Austin Kennedy in the fourth quarter - one of two picks from the Gaels defence on the day.
Image by: Sam Koebrich

A complete team win against a pesky opponent leaves Queen’s at 3-0 and tied for first in the OUA.

Quarterback Billy McPhee threw for 297 yards and three touchdowns and the Gaels’ defence did all it could to contain the Windsor Lancers dual-threat quarterback Austin Kennedy en route to a 49-34 victory on Saturday.

Following a shaky performance last week against McMaster, McPhee reasserted his ability to take over a ball game. He completed 12 of 13 passes in the first half, including a 40-yard touchdown bomb to slotback Justin Chapdelaine on the game’s opening drive.

McPhee’s play action fake left three Gaels receivers wide open downfield without a defender within 15 yards.

Took just five plays and 2:33 for the Gaels to strike. No Lancers defender was within 10 yards of Chapdelaine at the goal line.

— QJ Sports (@QJsports) September 7, 2013

“Last week we had some opportunities to get up the field against Mac and we missed them,” McPhee said. “This week we just found a way to click.

“Offences sometimes take a longer time to get developing than defences do, especially in such a fast-moving camp like we had.”

A second-quarter flurry of scoring put the Gaels up 28-10 and all but put the game out of reach. McPhee led the Gaels on a 95-yard touchdown drive, their longest of the game, capping it off with a 35-yard jump ball to towering receiver Scott Macdonell.

“We got a mismatch [against a linebacker] that we kind of like,” Macdonell said. “Billy threw a beautiful ball, put it right where I could make an adjustment to it, and I’m just thankful I didn’t drop it.”

On the ensuing kickoff, place kicker Dillon Wamsley sent a booming kick into the end zone that was subsequently fumbled and jumped on by Gaels running back Jonah Pataki for a touchdown.

The Gaels defence, while not playing to its full ability, pressured Kennedy all game, limiting him to 207 passing yards, picking him off twice and recording seven sacks.

Kennedy finally managed to break containment in the fourth quarter, rolling to his left before sprinting down the sideline for a 60-yard touchdown.

Kennedy holds down the right trigger and sprints down the left sideline, sprinting 60 yards for the TD. 43-27 Gaels. #michaelvick #madden04

Fourth-year linebacker Sam Sabourin led the Gaels with 9.5 tackles and an interception off a tipped pass, while linemen John Miniaci and Luke Ball had two sacks apiece.

“You’re not going to stop a kid like [Kennedy] – you’ve just got to slow him down,” said Gaels head coach Pat Sheahan. “He’s a terrific athlete, but I thought our guys did as well as we could limiting him.”

It was a relatively quiet day for the Gaels secondary after singlehandedly willing Queen’s to victory last week, but this was more of a sign of respect. Kennedy looked reluctant to throw downfield, completing no passes over 30 yards.

The Lancers’ lone touchdown through the air came in the third quarter off a 10-yard completion to receiver Evan Pszczonak, who hauled in a difficult pass in the corner of the end zone.

Both teams struggled with ball security. The Lancers combined for three turnovers, while the Gaels’ offence lost three fumbles.

Sheahan was adamant that his team will have to correct these issues down the stretch.

“Later on in the season, those are going to be plays that come back and haunt you, but the guys are 3-0 and they’ve earned that record.”

After the short week off, the Gaels are happy to enter their bye week. They’ll return to action on Sept. 21 on the road against the Ottawa Gee-Gees (2-1).

Despite a perfect record, Sheahan said the Gaels can’t be content with their previous efforts.

“It’s still a work in progress,” he said.

Victory handshakes for the @queensgaels. Final score: 49-34 pic.twitter.com/ckbL9Ljf7K

— Josh Burton (@JawshBurton) September 7, 2013

Well, @queensgaels move to 3-0 on the year despite a series of infuriating fumbles. Still, a win’s a win. On to Ottawa next week!

— Nick Roy (@NickRoy13) September 7, 2013

My @CIS_SIC top 10 ballot for week 3 1. @rougeetor 2. @queensgaels 3. @WesternMustangs 4. @Carabins 5. @UCDinos

— Donnovan Bennett (@donnovanbennett) September 8, 2013

Had myself a @RodSmithTSN sighting after the @queensgaels‘ football game in the bowels of Richardson Stadium. #WhatAVoice

— Peter Reimer (@Peter_Reimer) September 7, 2013

Football, Gaels, Kennedy, Macdonell, McPhee, Sheahan, Windsor