Second straight shutout

Eight players score tries in blowout road win

The defending OUA champions rolled over their second opponent of the season on Sunday.

Queen’s extended its early winning streak on the road, defeating the Waterloo Warriors 62-0. The victory was even more emphatic than the Gaels’ season opener ―a 48-0 home win on Sept. 7 against the Laurier Golden Hawks.

The Gaels (2-0) rode depth throughout the lineup against Waterloo (0-2). Brendan Sloan tallied two tries, in addition to scores from Michael Ulozas, Adam McQueen, David Worsley, Tommy Kirkham, Kainoa Lloyd, Graham Turner and Andrew Carr.

McQueen added six conversions on 10 opportunities, resulting in him finishing with 17 points. He currently leads the OUA with 24 total points.

Head coach Peter Huigenbos said his team was stronger on set pieces this week, keying a relentless offensive attack.

“We were successful there, which resulted in an overall better performance,” Huigenbos said. “We were able to keep a lot of possession away from Waterloo, build several phases and score a few tries.”

Star back Liam Underwood and forward Jacob Rumball were missing from the game because they were selected to play for the Ontario Blues senior men’s club squad against British Columbia on Saturday. Underwood was limited to two regular-season games in 2012 due to commitments with the Blues.

To fill the opening, rookie Isaac Pickell started up front and had a strong performance, according to Huigenbos. Fourth-year forward Tommy Kirkham and third-year back Jeffrey MacDonald also returned after missing the Laurier game.

“There were some changes in the lineup, but obviously with the result today the team played well and adapted to the lineup changes quite well,” Huigenbos said.

On Saturday, the Gaels will face the RMC Paladins (1-1), who Huigenbos said will be a “physical opponent.” Queen’s topped RMC 67-5 in their regular-season matchup last October.

Gaels, Huigenbos, McQueen, Men's rugby, Sloan, Waterloo