Overtime win on Homecoming weekend

Gaels complete fourth-quarter comeback, top Laurier in overtime

Receiver Scott Macdonell scored with 2:46 left in the fourth quarter to tie the game at 27-27.
Receiver Scott Macdonell scored with 2:46 left in the fourth quarter to tie the game at 27-27.

In a game plagued by mistakes, it took the craziest play of the day for Queen’s to put Laurier away.

After kicker Dillon Wamsley’s potential game-winning overtime field goal was blocked, holder Aaron Gazendam grabbed the ball, kicked it into the end zone and pounced on it to give the Gaels a 40-34 victory in their first Homecoming game.

There were 9,037 spectators in attendance at Richardson Stadium for the game.

Though it was the Gaels making mistakes and struggling during regulation, it was a muffed snap by Laurier which set the tone for overtime. The Gaels stopped the Golden Hawks from scoring on their extra drive, setting up the eventual Gazendam touchdown.

Heading into the game, few would have expected Laurier (1-6) to hang with the nationally fifth-ranked Gaels (5-1), let alone take the game into overtime.

The Gaels were hindered by a passing attack that saw quarterback Billy McPhee complete just 10 passes on 29 attempts, with many of the incompletions being dropped passes.

The Gaels trailed 17-9 at halftime, with their usually-strong pass defence allowing 195 yards through the air.

The third quarter saw the first chance the Gaels had to get back into the game, when running back Daniel Heslop took a short pass from McPhee and ran 75 yards for a touchdown.

That success was all for naught, as Laurier took the ensuing kickoff to Queen’s 24-yard line, directly leading to a touchdown pass which put the Golden Hawks up 27-16 heading into the final frame.

After a Wamsley field goal brought the Gaels within eight, McPhee found slotback Scott Macdonell along the sideline for a 12-yard touchdown pass. A successful two-point conversion tied the game at 27.

After getting the ball back, the Gaels embarked on a six-play, 62-yard drive ending in a Jesse Andrews rush touchdown with 1:47 left.

Laurier quarterback James Fracas then led a quick 70-yard touchdown drive, tying the game again with 15 seconds left. Kicker Ronnie Pfeffer would miss a 42-yard field goal attempt in overtime, setting up Gazendam’s heroics.

All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to journal_editors@ams.queensu.ca.

When commenting, be considerate and respectful of writers and fellow commenters. Try to stay on topic. Spam and comments that are hateful or discriminatory will be deleted. Our full commenting policy can be read here.