Can’t beat Carleton

Third straight loss to Ravens dooms post-season hopes

A late equalizer wasn’t enough to save men’s soccer in the OUA quarterfinals.

The Gaels were eliminated on Sunday after facing the Carleton Ravens, falling 2-1 on the road in extra time.

Trailing for most of the second half against the Ravens, a 89th-minute goal from midfielder Andrew Martin put the contest into overtime.

Joey Kewin scored Carleton’s game-winner in the 105th minute. The shot was a second chance after a Ravens’ set play.

“[It was] one of the best games we played,” said Gaels head coach Chris Gencarelli. “It was a battle.”

This was the third time the men had faced Carleton this season, falling 2-0 in their season opener and 4-1 on Oct. 9.

The game was an unfortunate finale for a team that had been finding its stride, beating the Nipissing Lakers 7-0 in their last regular season game and 2-1 in the first round of the playoffs.

“I thought we played our best soccer towards the end of the season,” Gencarelli said.

Neither the Gaels nor the Ravens were able to score in the first half. Carleton was the first to find their rhythm in the second half and, in the 54th minute, tallied the go-ahead goal.

Queen’s fought for the rest of the half and didn’t falter in the dying minutes of the contest.

The final game of the year saw the Gaels bombarding the net. Chris Michael registered four shots, while Eric Koskins, Chris Wellsman and Lucas Lobo had three apiece.

Goalkeeper Dylan Maxwell made seven saves and striker Tommy Hong was named MVP for Queen’s.

Martin’s tying goal was a shock to everyone except the hard-working Gaels, who hoped to finish the game in extra time.

GOOOOOOOOAAAAL

— Queen’s Men’s Soccer (@QMSoccer) October 27, 2013

ANDREW MARTIN PLAYS THE HERO

That wouldn’t be the case, as a loose ball in front of the keeper was driven home by Kewin to signal the end of Queen’s playoff run.

Several players won’t be returning next year including Lobo, defender Adrian Rochford and captain Joe Zupo.

“We are graduating some key players,” Gencarelli said. “They had a fantastic fourth season.”

There it is. Ravens win 2-1.

Carleton, Gaels, Gencarelli, Martin, Men’s Soccer