Streak snapped by stiff competition

First place retained despite pointless weekend

The Gaels recorded 50 penalty minutes over the weekend, allowing three power play goals on eight chances.
The Gaels recorded 50 penalty minutes over the weekend, allowing three power play goals on eight chances.

Men’s hockey finally fell short in regulation.

The Gaels were trounced 4-1 by the ninth-ranked Carleton Ravens on Friday night before losing 4-3 by the sixth-ranked McGill Redmen on Saturday, ending a 12-0-5 stretch without a regulation loss to start the season.

The loss to McGill means the Redmen (14-5-1) now sit even with the Gaels (12-2-5) for first place in the OUA.

“The streak was going to end,” said assistant coach Andrew Haussler. “We’re still a very good hockey club.”

Goaltender Kevin Bailie made 40 and 44 saves against Carleton (13-5-1) and McGill, respectively, but ultimately fell short of victory both times.

“We just have to get back to our game,” Haussler said. “We knew prepping this week we had two good hockey teams ... maybe we overthought our week this week and we worried too much about Xs and Os and not just coming out and playing our hockey.”

The weekend’s games lacked discipline, as the Gaels took 12 minor penalties in the two contests, as well as three 10-minute misconducts: two for checking to the head and one from checking from behind.

“I thought we let the referee and the emotions get to us,” head coach Brett Gibson said. “If you lack your head in it for a minute, a good team can capitalize and we let that happen. I’ll blame myself. We let that get away.”

The Gaels’ downfall on Saturday came in a stretch of 72 seconds early in the second period, where they gave up three goals to give the Redmen a 3-0 lead. The first came in the final few seconds of a Gaels’ penalty kill.

“You can’t let a referee get under your skin,” Gibson said. “I should’ve done a better job of calming the boys down. I should’ve maybe called a timeout after the second goal and I let it go one more [before using the timeout]. It might have cost us.”

The Gaels managed to fight back and make the score 4-3 against the Redmen, but were unable to muster anything further.

“I’m proud of the guys,” Gibson said. “I told them, ‘let’s keep our mouths shut, and let’s go to work.’ I thought we controlled the third period; we were a shot away [from tying it up].

“We’re a fast team when we want to be, and I think we proved that tonight.”

Stephane Chabot was a bright spot for the Gaels. The typically defensive-minded defenceman scored his first goal of the season on Friday and added an assist on Saturday to lead the Gaels in scoring over the weekend.

Forwards Tyler Moore, Jordan Coccimiglio and Braeden Corbeth all tallied goals for Queen’s against McGill.

Queen’s will have a rematch against McGill in Montreal this Friday before playing Concordia the following night.

“It’s going to be a very important game next Friday night,” Gibson said. “They’re a good hockey team, we’re going to plan for a week to see how we can adjust and how they’re going to adjust, and if we can control our emotions, I think we’ll be fine.”

OUA East Standings

1. Queen’s [12-2-5] – 29 pts
2. McGill [14-5-1] – 29 pts
3. UQTR [14-4-0] – 28 pts
4. Carleton [13-5-1] – 27 pts
5. Ottawa [12-7-1] – 25 pts
6. Concordia [6-8-3] – 15 pts
7. UOIT [5-11-3] – 13 pts
8. Laurentian [5-14-0] – 10 pts
9. Nipissing [4-14-1] – 9 pts
10. RMC [1-16-2] – 4 pts

All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to

When commenting, be considerate and respectful of writers and fellow commenters. Try to stay on topic. Spam and comments that are hateful or discriminatory will be deleted. Our full commenting policy can be read here.