Valentine’s Day for one

To find the best Valentine’s date, look no further than yourself

The Love App
The Love App
A very personal pizza
A very personal pizza
Charming Chocolate Cake
Charming Chocolate Cake

Valentine’s Day is all about celebrating love, so this year why not celebrate your love for yourself?

Some people stress out because they don’t have a date, but you never have to look too far for the perfect company. Nobody is going to love you more than you love you, so this Valentine’s Day show yourself some appreciation and whip up an easy meal for your one and only.

The love app

Start your night-in right with a tiny mouthful of tasty. Like an easy twist on a classic caprese salad, this appetizer is simple, yet sophisticated. No one is going to judge you on how many you eat.

Ingredients:

Cucumber
Basil leaves
Cream cheese
Cherry tomatoes
Balsamic vinegar

Directions:

1. On a thick slice of cucumber spread about a tsp of cream chese and top that with a small leave of basil and half a cherry tomato.

2. Continue, making as many as you want.

3. Place them on a plate and drizzle with balsamic. Eat to your heart’s content.

A very personal pizza

With this super simple dough, you can literally turn this pizza into anything. Luckily your date always agrees with you, so you can top it with whatever your preference may be. Try pesto pizzas with feta and sun-dried tomatoes, or classic tomato sauce with cheese and prosciutto. Maybe you want some cinnamon and maple syrup with apples and brie, because it’s your party and you’ll eat what you want to.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of flour
A dash of salt
1 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for bowl

Directions:

1. Place yeast in a medium-sized bowl. Add the warm water. Let this sit for about five minutes to actvate (when done it will look a little foamy).

2. Add salt and olive oil and mix well to incorporate.

3. Add flour in gradually and stir to combine — it should be sticky.

4. Transfer your dough to a larger bowl that’s greased with the extra olive oil. Wet a dish towel and cover the top of the bowl. Leave the bowl of dough in a non-drafty place to sit for an hour. (In the meantime, you’re welcome to prep other dishes or sing along to some Beyoncé).

5. Once the dough has doubled in size, take it out onto a floured surface. Knead it lightly a couple of times and begin shaping it on a cookie sheet also lined slightly with olive oil.

6. Once you add your preferred toppings, place in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit
for about 10 to 12 minutes — just like you, every oven is different.

Charming chocolate cake

Nothing says “I love me” more than treating yourself to a decadent chocolate cake. Ain’t nobody got time to make an entire one, so this recipe makes just two cupcakes or one mini cake in a small casserole dish. With some easy vanilla frosting on top, dyed pink if you wish, it’s the perfect amount of sweetness to finish off your perfect evening with yourself.

Ingredients for cake:

3 tbsp. of flour
2 tbsp. of granulated sugar
2 tbsp. of cocoa powder
1/8 tsp. of baking soda
A pinch of salt
2 tbsp., or so, of milk
1 tbsp. melted salted butter
A dash of vanilla extract

Directions:

1. In a small to medium bowl, melt the butter and add the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, milk and vanilla. Stir rigorously until all combined. It should seem thicker and slightly fudgey.

2. Put the batter into your cupcake wrappers or your small cake pan and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes. While you wait, I recommend prepping the frosting, but you can also begin your Netflix binge-watching session.

Ingredients for frosting:

1 tbsp. room temperature salted butter
4 tbsp. sifted confectioners sugar
A dash of vanilla
A splash of milk

Directions:

1. Mix together the butter, icing sugar, vanilla and milk rigorously until it’s smooth.

2. Once the cake is cooled, top it with the frosting and enjoy.