Queen’s rises in QS World rankings

University ranks 187th globally; rises two places from 2013

The QS World University Rankings have been released and Queen’s ranked 187th, with an overall score of 55.5 out of 100 and a rise of two spots from last year.

The rankings are based on several different factors, including academic reputation, where Queen’s scored 60.4 of 100; employer reputation, where Queen’s scored 65.5; and citations per faculty, where Queen’s scored 73.9.

Some of the lowest scores that Queen’s had were in international students and faculty-student ratio, which scored 26.80 and 22.40, respectively. Queen’s is seeking to increase its international student population to 10 per cent of the overall undergraduate population.

The rankings are also further broken down by the quality of the programs the school has to offer.

The highest faculty ranking at Queen’s went to Social Sciences and Management, in comparison to the same faculties in different schools, with a position in 158th place. The lowest-ranked faculty in comparison with other schools was Natural Science, in 281st place.

Associate Vice-Principal (International) Kathy O’Brien said Queen’s performs well in some rankings and less well in others.

“Every ranking uses a different methodology … fluctuations in the international rankings are to be expected and Queen’s may go up or down a few positions from year to year,” she told the Journal via email.

Despite what some may perceive as a low ranking, O’Brien said Queen’s is doing well.

“The rankings do indicate that Queen’s continues to punch above its weight when it comes to research,” she said.

In the global context, the University will continue to focus upon building international ties through recruiting students and continuing research.

“The University’s success internationally will be built upon its strength domestically,” O’Brien said.

“We will continue to leverage our strength as a balanced academy to attract international students and to build on our research prominence around the globe.”

O’Brien didn’t specify what positive or negative aspects of Queen’s might have put the University in 187th.

“Some rankings, such as QS, rely heavily on global reputational surveys. Globally, Queen’s moved up two spots from last year, which is positive,” she said. “But as I mentioned before, fluctuations in the rankings are to be expected.”

O’Brien said it’s difficult for the QS World University Rankings, or any university rankings, to capture the University’s quality.

“Delivering a transformative student learning experience in a research-intensive environment is our defining strength, but it does not necessarily help us in international rankings,” she said.

“No major ranking captures all of Queen’s strengths, in particular the quality of its student learning experience.”

rankings, University