Sports in brief

Soccer, Hockey, Rugby and Cross Country in action Thanksgiving weekend

Men’s rugby tramples Toronto

Men’s rugby put forth a near-perfect performance last Friday, outclassing the Toronto Varsity Blues (0-6) to the tune of 113-0.

The Gaels (5-1) dominated the match from the beginning as second-year forward Lucas Rumball opened the scoring. Rumball set off a series of tries that gave the Gaels a 64-0 lead after 40 minutes.

Rookie Marc Levin led the way for the Gaels, racking up three tries, including one off a 70-metre run during the first half.

Queen’s kept up the pace in the second half, as they put another 49 points on the board to record the convincing victory. The margin marked the Gaels’ largest victory over the past seven seasons.

David Worsley led the team with 20 points, connecting on five converts and tallying a pair of tries, increasing his point total on the season to 78.

The Gaels’ next game sees them host the Western Mustangs (4-1-1) tomorrow in a rematch of the past three OUA championship games.

First place in the crowded OUA will be on the line. The Mustangs sit just four points back of the Gaels for top spot in the province, despite being fourth in the conference.

— Sean Sutherland

Queen’s grabs four points

Winding down their regular season, men’s soccer clinched a solid four points last weekend.

Queen’s upset the first-place Ryerson Rams 2-1 at home last Saturday, before drawing 0-0 with the Toronto Varsity Blues on Sunday. The points put the squad in a competitive position to nail down an OUA East first-round playoff bye.

The Gaels (8-2-5) stuck to their game plan and set the pace of the match early on as they took on the OUA East-leading Rams (11-3-0). Despite the focus and chances generated from the Queen’s side, halftime saw the Rams up by a goal scored in the 35th minute off a free kick.

The tables were turned in the second half with some brilliant teamwork from the Gaels, as veteran striker Eric Koskins nodded in a 50th-minute goal off of a well-placed cross from midfielder Henry Bloemen.

Fourteen minutes later, third-year Kristian Zanette effortlessly put away the game-winning goal for the Gaels, sliding the ball past Ryerson keeper Christian Maraldo. The Gaels were relentless throughout the remainder of the match, outshooting the Rams with 11 shots on goal to the opponent’s four.

The momentum from Saturday’s win didn’t give the Gaels the same fortune against the Toronto Varsity Blues (9-3-2) on Sunday, as they settled for a scoreless draw.

Feeling the hard-fought victory from the previous day, Queen’s played a tight defensive game but couldn’t convert on a few set pieces.

The Gaels currently sit tied with the Varsity Blues in the OUA East — four points back of the Rams — though Toronto has a game in hand. The Gaels wrap up their regular season at home this Sunday against the RMC Paladins (3-12-0).

— Kylee Pedersen

Gaels take one, lose two

In three games this week, women’s soccer could only grab three points, settling for a single win.

The Gaels hosted two Toronto teams over Thanksgiving weekend, foregoing turkey and stuffing for on-field finesse.

First up were the Ryerson Rams (5-8-1), who the Gaels (8-4-3) overpowered 4-0 last Saturday afternoon on Miklas-McCarney Field.

Scoring came from reliable sources, with Jackie Tessier starting things off with a goal in the eighth minute. Fresh off an injury, the score proved the striker is back to full form.

Midfielder Jessie de Boer increased the lead as she brought her scoring streak to six games.

Fourth-year striker Breanna Burton put the game out of reach when she buried a pair of goals less than five minutes apart in the second half.

Goaltenders Madison Tyrell and Michaila Frawley each played one half. Tyrell made two saves in the first half, while Frawley stopped all five shots in the second.

On Sunday, the women fell 2-1 at home to the Toronto Varsity Blues (9-4-1).

The Blues went up early on a goal the Gaels protested, saying the ball had struck the football uprights behind the net and gone out of play.

With no choice but to play on, the women answered in the 30th minute. Second-year striker Tara Bartram hit the mark with assistance from Brittany Almeida and de Boer.

The Blues scored the winner early in the second half. Tyrell faced nine shots and the Gaels registered eight of their own.

The women were back to the pitch again Wednesday to face the Ottawa Gee-Gees (13-1-0). The Gaels were unable to generate authentic offensive pressure against the province’s top team, and fell 3-0.

In the final game of the regular season, the women will host the RMC Paladins (0-13-1) this Sunday.

— Brent Moore

Third and fourth at the Fort

After sweeping first place at the Queen’s Invitational each of the past two years, neither cross-country team captured the same title last Saturday.

Running at Fort Henry, the Gaels women’s side finished on the podium in third place, while the men settled for fourth.

Several of the Gaels’ top runners didn’t run, including 2013 OUA gold medalist Julie-Anne Staehli and men’s captain Evan Andrin.

First-year Claire Summer was Queen’s top individual runner, finishing the six-kilometre women’s race in a time of 20:46.5, good enough for second place in the event. She was joined in the top 10 by teammate Shannen Murray.

Three other members of the women’s team finished the race in the top 30, giving the Gaels 77 points and the bronze medal. The Toronto Varsity Blues took first with 42 points, while the McMaster Marauders finished second, seven points ahead of Queen’s.

The Gaels didn’t fare quite as well on the men’s side, where Eric Wynands was the only runner to finish the 10-kilometre race in the top 15. Queen’s finished with 115 points, well back of the first-place Marauders’ 38.

The Gaels will return to Fort Henry on Oct. 25, when they host the OUA championships. Staehli captured an individual silver medal at last year’s provincial meet, while former teammate Victoria Coates took gold.

While they had individual success at the Ontario level last season, neither Gaels team cracked the overall podium, ending up with a pair of fourth-place finishes.

— Sean Sutherland

Men’s hockey split opening games

Looking to get their season off on the right foot, the men’s hockey team suffered a heartbreaking loss last Friday.

Queen’s lost 4-3 to the McGill Redmen, giving up the winning goal with just 14 seconds left in the third period on a shot from Samuel Labrecque that snuck past goaltender Kevin Bailie.

Queen’s loss wasn’t due to a lack of effort, as they saw themselves claw back and tie the game twice after McGill took the lead.

The Redmen knotted the first goal of the night just over five minutes into the game, soon followed by a response from Queen’s centre Braeden Corbeth.

McGill scored once more in the first period and again in the second as the Gaels fell behind 3-1. Power play goals from forwards Eric Ming and Tyler Moore tied the game at 3-3 after 40 minutes.

The final frame saw strong goaltending from both sides, with Bailie making 11 saves while McGill’s Jacob Gervais-Chouinard stopped all 15 shots by the Gaels.

The Gaels couldn’t muster a third successful comeback in the short period of time they had to work with after Labrecque’s tally.

Queen’s then topped the UOIT Ridgebacks (1-0-2) 2-1 yesterday, with Corey Bureau and Ming recording the goals.

Queen’s returns home tomorrow night for a Homecoming matchup against the Concordia Stingers (2-2).

Last season, Queen’s outscored the Stingers by a combined score of 10-2 in two wins for the Gaels.

— Adam Laskaris

Pilon leads way in weekend split

A pair of dominant performances from Taryn Pilon helped women’s hockey kick off their season with a perfect weekend.

The Gaels hosted the Nipissing Lakers and Laurentian Lady Vees last Saturday and Sunday, notching a pair of victories in the process. One day after dispatching Nipissing 5-2, the squad blanked the Lady Vees 6-0.

Pilon stood out on the weekend, racking up six total points, including four against Laurentian.

She started the Nipissing game with a bang, opening the scoring 27 seconds into the first period. After the rest of the first stayed scoreless, it was the Lakers who got on the board in the second, tying it at one with a power play tally.

Winger Courtenay Jacklin got the Gaels back in front with a power play marker of her own. Pilon added her second of the game midway through the third period to put Queen’s ahead for good.

Second-years Clare McKellar and Kyla Crouse each tallied a goal, while Fiona Lester and captain Shawna Griffin both recorded a pair of assists. Goaltender Caitlyn Lahonen turned away 32 shots to get the win.

Eight different players got on the score sheet against Laurentian, with Pilon’s four points leading the way. Defenceman Alisha Sealey added a goal and two assists in the game.

Netminder Stephanie Pascal made 21 saves for the shutout in her OUA debut.

The Gaels’ next game sees them host the York Lions today at noon at the K-Rock Centre.

— Sean Sutherland

All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to

When commenting, be considerate and respectful of writers and fellow commenters. Try to stay on topic. Spam and comments that are hateful or discriminatory will be deleted. Our full commenting policy can be read here.