Queen’s strengthens relationship with China

A “two-plus-two” degree program between Queen’s and Shanghai’s Tongji University was announced on Nov. 20, adding to efforts by the University to increase international enrolment.

Queen’s strategic framework noted that the University is aiming to increase the international undergraduate student population to 10 per cent of its total.

Participating students will study at Tongji’s College of Environmental Science and Engineering for two years and spend a subsequent two at Queen’s School of Environmental Studies before receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in environmental science from Queen’s.

The first group of students — with each group likely to number around 15 students — is expected to arrive in fall 2015.

The official signing of the agreement took place in Shanghai last week and was attended by Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic) Alan Harrison; Dean of Arts and Science Susan Mumm; and Associate Vice-Principal (International) Kathy O’Brien.

The partnership follows a series of other collaborations between the universities, including an Aquatic Biodiversity and Environmental Assessment joint field course and Sino-Canada Network for the Environment and Sustainable Development joint research initiative.

It also comes after the launch of a new Chinese webpage by Queen’s, which includes information on the University and the City of Kingston.

China is the number one country of citizenship for both undergraduate and graduate international students at Queen’s. Twenty-nine per cent of undergraduate international students and 24 per cent of graduate international students are Chinese citizens.

International