Fellowship program looking to recruit at Queen’s

Studio Y held a recruitment session at Queen’s on Wednesday to inform students about their fellowship program.

The fully-funded fellowship is based out of the MaRS Discovery District in Toronto, which is Canada’s largest innovation and entrepreneurship hub.

Each year, Studio Y selects 25 people aged 18-29 to take part in the eight-month program. The selected hires have the opportunity to build their own innovation and passion projects, work on projects with organizational partners and learn new skills. The hires receive a $20,000 stipend.

Bronwyn Oatley, senior associate of research and partnerships at Studio Y, said Queen’s is one of 30 stops they’re making in their Recruitment Roadshow to inform people of the fellowship opportunity.

“It was a chance for us to give interested students a feel for the program, a chance to ask questions and an opportunity to participate in some activities that stimulate the Studio Y experience,” she said.

“It went really well — we had about 15 students out and they were really engaged. Many of them had commented on their way out that they would absolutely be applying to the program and it was a good event.”

Oatley added that Studio Y provides a great opportunity to graduating Queen’s students as well as recent alumni.

“It’s really a hybrid work and learning experience so you’re getting hands-on practical experience in the real world as well as continuing to develop your skills,” she said.

“It’s also a great opportunity for recent alums or those who are looking for something different than the traditional academic experience where they’re doing a lot of paper-writing and a lot of listening to lectures. Studio Y is very much experiential and hands-on, and gives you a chance to build your experiences throughout the program.”