A Midsummer Night’s Dream rethought, but respected

The King’s Town Players’ production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream is a classic play rebound into a 1950s setting.

A group of cast members playing faeries.
Image supplied by: King's Town Players
King’s Town Players cast on stage.

The King’s Town Players’ production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream is a classic play rebound into a 1950s setting.

The play, which was directed by Steven Spencer, was held in the Rotunda Theatre and included a cast of both seasoned and first-time performers. 

The production, the last of the season, ran from May 6-9 and again from May 13-16. The King’s Town Players (KTP) began rehearsing for their parts five weeks ago. Each night at 8 p.m., they took the stage with the hopes of harnessing the influence of Shakespeare while adding new distinction to its magic. 

“When we see a play that’s been around for 500 years, we already know it’s going to be important,” Director Steven Spencer said. “We just have to figure out how to make it more important than it was before.” 

In this condensed two-hour version of the play, three distinct plotlines and nearly 30 cast members worked seamlessly to lead the audience through several love stories. The King’s Town Players’ production added the charm of simplicity with an intimate venue, uncomplicated stage production and the more relatable setting of the 1950s.

“The play unifies itself through love. How crazy it is, what it’s like when it’s new or falling part, what it’s like when it’s free or imposed. Every relationship in this play has a different aspect of love attached to it,” explained Spencer.

In a seminal scene in the play, a group of fairies surrounded Titania, the Queen of Fairies, as she’s about to fall asleep. Titania ordered the fairies to sing a song as she sleeps before they resumed their duties in the forest. 

The singing fairy, played gracefully by Sophia Battel, began a soft lullaby as the other fairies hummed in harmony. Soft piano is accompanied by the gentle sounds of the forest in the background. The scene sets a haunting tone for the entire production.

Many members of the cast have been with King’s Town Players for several productions, but for many, it was their first production.

Natalea Robyn and James Hyett playing Helena and Demetrius. 
(Photo Supplied by King’s Town Players)

According to cast members, the actors performed each night through their sheer dedication for community theatre and love for sharing classic art. 

“We rehearsed through a six-week period with approximately four rehearsals per week,” said cast member Krista Garrett via email, who played the mischievous sprite Robin Goodfellow in the production. 

“Before that time, the Producers sourced and recruited props mistresses, a costume team, sound and lighting designers, and many other crew members. The board of KTP works very hard all year long alongside their crew of dedicated volunteers.”

Steven Spencer said the King’s Town Players’ ran the production with two aims in mind: a technical message and one about the play itself. 

“First, we want people to come away from this play thinking that Shakespeare can be understandable and entertaining, without having to be nine-and-a-half hours long,” said Spencer. 

“Second, on a less technical standpoint, the play asks us to believe in magic. That no matter how strange the world can get, there is something magical always out there.”