U of T’s “Brute Force Committee” releases ransom demands for grease pole

Twenty-two demands listed for EngSoc to meet before BFC return the grease pole

Image supplied by: Supplied by Brute Force Committee
The Brute Force Committee released this photograph (likely somewhat edited) of their members with EngSoc's grease pole.

The Brute Force Committee (BFC) released a set of ransom demands on their website detailing what they hope to receive from the Queen’s Engineering Society in return for the beloved grease pole.

As previously reported, BFC stole the grease pole on the morning of Sept. 13, less than 48 hours after it was climbed by first-year students. 

In their most recent press release, BFC wrote: “It seems like only yesterday that Slippery Pete (formerly known as the Grease Pole) came back to Skule™. Sadly all good things must come to an end. Slippery Pete is feeling a bit blue and homesick, so we decided it was time to prepare for his return.”

It appears you don’t have a PDF plugin for this browser. No biggie… you can click here to download the PDF file.

The BFC listed 22 demands for EngSoc to meet before they return the grease pole. Some of their demands include “a filmed re-enactment of “The Strike” episode of Seinfeld (the Festivus episode)”, “a notarized, legally binding agreement to refer to the Grease Pole as “Slippery Pete” in all future communications and publications” and the “finest, eight-dollarest [sic] bottle of wine”. 

“Once the ransom list is satisfied, we will be in touch with the details of Pete’s release,” BFC wrote. 

Remembering all the good times we had with the Pole… #BabyComeBack http://t.co/MV8m0KVoYl pic.twitter.com/GWjBToylAy

— Engineering Society (@EngSocQueens) October 19, 2015

The grease pole, which was once a goalpost at the U of T’s Varsity Stadium, was stolen by a group of Queen’s students after a football game in 1955. The pole is now an icon in the annual Engineering Orientation Week pole-climbing event, which took place on Sept. 12 this year.

The pole was last stolen by BFC in 2000. Following its retrieval, the BFC made a list of ransom demands for EngSoc, including beer in a tree, two turtle necks, three French toasts, four pounds of back bacon, five golden toques, six packs of 24s, seven packs of cigarettes and eight comic books.

Brute Force Committee, Engineering Society, EngSoc, Grease Pole, Slippery Pete