Sports in Brief

Men’s hockey sweeps Lakehead on road

Last weekend, the men’s hockey team swept the Lakehead Thunderwolves, taking two games from them on the road.

In their first match-up, the Gaels were in tough against the Thunder Bay squad. After falling down 1-0 early, the Gaels began to pick up the pressure, leading to Queen’s forward Eric Ming tying the game at the 12:44 mark of 

the first period.

In a slow second period, the Gaels would only register eight shots compared to Lakehead’s 12. This would come back to haunt the them, as the Thunderwolves would capitalize on their opportunities, leading 2-1 going into the game’s last stanza.

After drawing a penalty less than a minute after play resumed, the Gaels went on the attack. Ming addedd his second of the game during the power play, tying it at two only 2:48 into the third period.

It would take the Gaels less than 30 seconds to pounce again, as Jordan Coccimiglio would score. Strong defence down the stretch  allowed the Gaels to hold on for the 3-2 win.

On the following night, the Gaels completed the sweep of Lakehead, winning 4-1. Forward Patrick McGillis scored two goals for Queen’s. Forwards Braden Mercier and Shawn Boudreau would add goals of their own, extending the Gaels record to 4-1-0.

Throughout the weekend, goaltender Kevin Bailie remained solid, making 54 saves over the two games.

Currently the Gaels sit fourth in the OUA East, and will spend next weekend on the road against the Carleton Ravens, who are currently third in the division.

The Gaels played the Ravens twice last season, dropping both games.

— Joseph Cattana

Women’s volleyball drops opener to Ottawa

Last weekend, the Gaels travelled to Ottawa to face off against their OUA East rivals, the Ottawa Gee-Gees.

The Gaels lost all three matches up in their season opener (25-22, 25-14, 25-14).

In the first game, outside hitter Shannon Hopkins recorded a match-high 10 kills alongside 12 total points in the loss. In addition, the fifth-year made few mistakes, as she only committing five errors.

Outside hitter Shannon Neville matched Hopkins’ efforts, picking up seven kills in match one alone.

Next weekend, the team will hope to grab their first win of the year. They have their home opener against Ryerson and Toronto on Friday and Saturday, both at 6 p.m.

— Joseph Cattana

Men's hockey, Women's Volleyball