How to dress for success

Image by: Gabby Altman

As a Film and Media student, my business casual style isn’t as innate as a Commerce student.

Just hearing the words “business casual” makes me a little uneasy. Fortunately, I’ve managed to pick up some handy tips about how you should dress for a business casual event, such as an interview, conference or just another day in the office (which may or may not have come from keeping an eye on stylish students strutting through Goodes). 

For those of you who are like me, and need a tutorial on dressing slightly more professional, here are some essentials to note.     

Stylish skirt

For me, dressing business casual doesn’t mean throwing my inner fashionista out the window. You can still look trendy and hip while simultaneously appearing professional. Pair a neutral coloured skirt — knee length or below — with a toned down grey knit tee. This outfit is smart for the office, yet chic enough to go grab lunch on fifth avenue. You’ll surely stand out amongst the sea of traditional white button down shirts and black suits, proving you’re the most qualified and unique individual for the job.

Power pants

This outfit combines the traditional white and grey dress suit with an outfit an uber fashionable contestant on Project Runway would wear. The grey trousers are simple while the flare at the bottom gives them a unique edge. Spice this look up with simple yet eye-catching jewelry and stylish booties.

You can also mix this look up with a pair of white or black straight-legged trousers for an alternative polished look.

Delightful dress

Grab any structured dress you have in your wardrobe and pair it with a jacket instead of a 

not-so-comfy blazer. This dress and jacket combination will have you looking professional and feeling comfy. If you want to step it up a notch, you can pair this look with bold laced up heels. A simple black clutch will perfectly tie this look together. Because the look is so bold, simple accessories, or none at all, are suggested for the workplace. 

Bold boys

Last but not least, here’s a look for the men. This look offers a modern twist on the traditional business casual ensemble. The basic 

essentials of a button down shirt, slacks and a tie are still there, although in a more fashionable manner. Stand out from your surroundings with a simple patterned shirt, and neutral accessories. If you want to add a hint of style to your look, consider swapping out the black socks for something more funky.

Remember, fashion is all about having fun. While dressing business casual may seem a little intimidating, it’s important to still stand out while looking the part. Dressing sharp doesn’t have to be dull and with these suggestions, you might find yourself landing a job and looking more professional than ever. 

Business, casual, Fashion, outfit, tips