Queen’s to fund scholarships for Syrian refugees

Queen’s University announced on Nov. 27 that they will be providing support for five Syrian refugees seeking a university education in Canada. 

The five awards, which are part of the Syrian Refugee Opportunity Awards, will allow the Syrian refugees to attend Queen’s starting next fall. The awards are a joint initiative between Queen’s and the World University Service of Canada (WUSC).

Each award includes tuition and living expenses for students entering any first-year undergraduate degree or Masters program at Queen’s. 

The scholarships will be funded by both the University and ongoing Initiative campaigns.  

According to Ann Tierney, vice-provost and dean of student affairs, the initiative was driven by faculty, staff, and students who expressed a strong desire to respond to the crisis. 

“Principal Daniel Woolf has enthusiastically supported this initiative,” Tierney said.

WUSC Queen’s is the local chapter of WUSC, a national non-profit focused on international development and education. As an AMS club, it’s funded by a mandatory undergraduate student fee. 

“Queen’s has been accepting sponsored refugee students since 1989 through the WUSC program,” Tierney said. 

Once the sponsored students arrive, members of WUSC Queen’s and various networks on campus — including Student Awards, faculty offices and the Queen’s University International Center (QUIC) — will help them settle in, she said.

The QUIC provides several transition supports for international students, including a welcome and orientation program, advising, language supports, lounge and study spaces, social activities, immigration advising, access to a cross-cultural issues counsellor and career advising.