Election candidates to be ratified

Jan. 14 AMS Assembly preview: assembly members will ratify AMS and Rector election candidates and discuss fall reading week survey results

Image supplied by: Graphic by Ashley Quan

AMS Assembly will vote to ratify candidates for the upcoming student elections at their first session of the winter semester tonight.

Two AMS teams are currently waiting for ratification votes: Team CSG (Colin Zarzour, ArtSci ’15, Sarah Anderson, ArtSci ’15, and Gregory Radisic, ArtSci ’17) and Team LWT (Tyler Lively, ArtSci ’16, Dave Walker, ArtSci ’17, and Carolyn Thompson, ArtSci ’17). Once a team is ratified, campaigning begins on Friday.

The assembly, which meets tonight at 6:30 p.m. in Macdonald Hall, will also vote to establish Rector candidates and winter referendum questions. Discussions concerning restructuring the commission of internal affairs and a potential fall reading week are on the agenda.

The full agenda can be viewed here.

The ratification of rector and executive election candidates

The AMS assembly will vote on motions approving the ratification of two teams running for the AMS executive for the 2016-17 year.

• Team LWT — Tyler Lively (president), Dave Walker (vice president operations) and Carolyn Thompson (vice president university affairs)
  • Team CSG — Colin Zarzour (president), Sarah Anderson (vice president operations) and Gregory Radisic (vice president university affairs)

The assembly is also set to vote on the ratification of the following candidates for the 2016 Rector Election ballot:

• Zac Baum, CompSci ’17
  • Liam Dowling, ConEd ’18
  • Julia Fulton, ArtSci ’17
  • Rigers Rukaj, Sci ’17
  • Cam Yung, ArtSci ’16

Campaigning begins this Friday. The voting period starts on Jan. 26 and lasts until Jan. 27.

Motions to decide 2016 AMS Winter Referendum 

All questions from the fall referendum have already been ratified and will be included in the winter referendum. The fall referendum was nullified after the AMS determined that the Chief Electoral Officer overseeing the referendum was ineligible to hold their position.

Members of the AMS Assembly will be voting to approve the following questions for the winter referendum:

• Referendum questions to establish new fees:
    • Queen’s Bridge Building Team
    • Jack.org (Queen’s Chapter)
    • Queen’s Healthcare and Business Conference
    • Right to Play at Queen’s
    • Queen’s Female Leadership in Politics Conference
    • Robogals Queen’s
    • Making Waves Organization
    • MUSE Magazine
  • Fee Continuations
    • Queen’s Shinerama
    • Kingston Youth Shelter
    • The Positive Space Program
    • Queen’s Project on International Development (QPID)
  • Fee Increases
    • TEDxQueensU
    • The Nyantende Foundation
    • Queen’s University Experimental Sustainability Team
    • Queen’s Free the Children
    • Camp Outlook
    • Golden Words
    • Queen’s Student Constables

Fall break proposal feedback

The AMS executive will present the findings of the Fall Break Proposal survey for discussion. The survey, which gathered student feedback on a proposal to establish a fall reading week, was prompted by a student petition brought to the Queen’s Senate.

Commission of Internal Affairs (CIA) restructuring

Following a review by the AMS executive of the Internal Affairs Commission, AMS Assembly will be discussing a proposed restructuring of the commission. According to a report presented with the agenda, the commissioner of internal affairs has grown to play a more supervisory and less active role with Non-Academic Discipline and the Clubs portfolio. The report proposes a new office structure to distribute AMS functions more efficiently.

Queen’s student constables fee increase proposal

Kyle Beaudry, vice-president (operations), will present a case for a $1 increase to the mandatory fee for Queen’s Student Constables (QSC). The increase will be included on the winter referendum ballot with the approval of AMS Assembly. In his report, Beaudry states that the training mandated by the Ontarian government has contributed to a continued deficit and that the fee increase is necessary to cover those training costs.

AMS, AMS Assembly, Elections