Campaign period begins

Team LWT and CSG nominated as AMS Exec candidates

Image by: Emma Sewell
Teams LWT (left) and CSG (right) were ratified by AMS assembly to run in the upcoming ASM executive election.

AMS assembly ratified five Rector candidates and two AMS executive teams on Thursday night: Team CSG headed by Colin Zarzour and Team LWT headed by Tyler Lively.

Team CSG is made up of Colin Zarzour for president, Sarah Anderson for vice president (operations) and Gregory Radisic for vice president (university affairs). Team LWT, meanwhile, is made up of Tyler Lively for president, Dave Walker for vice president (operations) and Carolyn Thompson for vice president (university affairs).

Campaigning begins today and the voting period starts on Jan. 26 and lasts until Jan. 27.

The assembly, which took place at 6:30 p.m. in Macdonald Hall, lasted for over four hours. During the assembly, student representatives also discussed the results of the fall reading week survey conducted by the AMS and a proposed restructuring of the Commission of Internal Affairs.

A motion was passed in the fourth hour to extend assembly another half hour. Around this time, the two executive teams came to the front of the room to answer “strictly personal questions”: If you had to pick two animals and combine them to represent you identity, what would they be? If you had to pick one of the following, what would you pick and why? (The options were Justin Bieber, Justin Timberlake or Justin Trudeau.)

Motions to ratify five Rector candidates were struck down by members of Assembly, because there’s no requirement in AMS policy to ratify the Rector candidates. The AMS doesn’t have exclusive jurisdiction over the election, as it’s shared with the Society of Graduate and Professional Students. Instead, the SGPS and AMS elections teams ratified the Rector candidates.

The following five candidates, in alphabetical order, are running for the position of University Rector in the 2016 election: Zac Baum, CompSci ’17; Liam Dowling, ConEd ’18; Julia Fulton, ArtSci ’17; Rigers Rukaj, Sci ’17; and Cam Yung, ArtSci ’16.

Members of AMS Assembly unanimously passed all motions approving questions regarding student fees appearing on the winter referendum ballet (see a list of the approved questions at queensjournal.ca). Questions from the nullified fall referendum — which had already been ratified — will also be included on the winter referendum ballet. 

Assembly also approved a question regarding a $1 increase to the Queen’s Student Constable (QSC) mandatory fee that Kyle Beaudry, VP (Operations), had proposed. Beaudry said QSC hadn’t had a fee increase since 2011 and needs one to combat training costs and higher wage rates to attract student hires.

#AMSvotes, AMS Assembly, AMS Assembly Recap, AMSvotes2016, election2016, team CSG, team LWT