Winter beauty trends & tips

The dark lip is one of the biggest winter beauty trends this year.

Gone are the days of naturally bronzed skin and lightened hair. As the temperature drops, your beauty routine becomes a little less effortless and your skin requires a little more TLC than in those warm summer months. Here are some of my favourite tricks and trends to keep your skin glowing and healthy.  

Switch up your products

Dry skin is one of the most common effects of the harsh winter weather. This means that your skincare regime should shift to make moisture a priority. 

Many cleansers contain harsh chemicals and stripping surfactants that remove some of the skin’s natural moisture. Instead of gel cleansers, look for milky or creamy cleansers that are much gentler on the skin.

A moisturizer is key for your skin’s survival during the winter months. Your skin needs help and switching to heavier moisturizer is often necessary. Instead of going with a lotion, look for cream or balm products, which are richer and better at retaining moisture. Remember that it’s not all about the face — hand and body moisturizers work wonders at healing dry skin all over

Experiment with makeup

We often take reddened cheeks as an inevitable effect of winter. In response to colder weather, blood tends to rush to our faces to regulate our temperature. However, it’s possible to counteract this flush with a variety of products.

In terms of makeup, redness-reducing primers or yellow-based concealers and foundations help maintain a more evenly-toned complexion. If you want a deeper fix, there are a number of face masks, serums and creams that ease the appearance of reddened skin.

Once you have your skincare routine adjusted to suit the dropping temperatures, you can start to play around with some of the winter beauty trends of this season. I’ve rounded up three of the most popular trends as seen on the runways of Fall/Winter fashion month.

Dark lipsticks

Perhaps the biggest winter beauty trend this year has been the dark lip. This look is a spin on the classic red lip, offering an edgier way to make a statement. The dark lip seen on Fall/Winter runways this year varied from the deep plum colour at both the Marc Jacobs and Ermanno Scervino shows to the more dramatic black sported by models at the Emanuel Ungaro and Giles runways. Whether you opt for a more wearable berry-like colour or dare to try an edgier black, this is a trend that works on nearly everyone.

Caramel tones

Makeup in caramel tones was a huge hit on countless runways this season. This warm colour helps to combat the winter blues by offering a summery shimmer to your look. This trend can be worn on your eyes as seen backstage at the Emilio Pucci or on your nails as seen at both the Donna Karan and Narciso Rodriguez shows.  

Graphic liners

The runways this season proved that liquid eyeliner doesn’t always have to be used minimally. Some makeup artists used eyeliner to draw geometric shapes surrounding the eyes, while others artistically smudged the liner. For a more wearable look, try the delicate cat eye as seen backstage at Thierry Mugler or the more exaggerated version at Chanel.