Law Student’s Society holds election forum for candidates

One of the five available positions is contested

The Queen’s Law Student Society (LSS) held its first election forum on Jan. 28 in the Law lounge of Sir John A. Macdonald Hall.

The only contested position in this year’s election is for Vice President (Academic), while the other four positions have candidates running unopposed for a vote of confidence.

The candidates are:

President: Nima Hojjati

Senator: Jason Mercredi

VP Academic: Cindy Zhang  and Brandon Chung

VP Administrative: Rachel McCarney

VP Activities: Jaimie Singleton

Juris Diction, the Queen’s Law’s student-run newspaper, hosted the forum, with Adam Sadinsky, the paper’s Editor-in-Chief, acting as moderator. Each candidate gave an opening statement before they were asked a series of position-specific questions.

Juris Diction said the most contested issues were the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Report recommendations and the new Introduction to Legal Skills (ILS) course, which will give first-year students an introduction to lawyering skills. The status of surplus LSS funding and what could be done to improve law school events were also heavily debated.

The next part of the evening was a question and answer period with questions provided either via Twitter or in writing from the audience. The debate concluded with a two-minute statement from each candidate.

See the Juris Diction’s full forum summary here.

http://juris-diction.ca/1831-2/