Updating: Police recover body of Queen’s student in Lake Ontario

Image supplied by: Supplied by Jimmy Thomas via Flickr

Last updated Feb. 1, 2016 at 4:45 p.m.

The body of a 23-year-old Queen’s student, who had fallen from the Wolfe Islander III ferry on Friday, was recovered by Kingston authorities Monday morning.

The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) confirmed that the deceased was a student. 

Around 4:10 p.m. on Friday, bystanders on the Wolfe Islander III ferry told the crew that the man had gone overboard. The OPP’s Underwater Search and Rescue Unit recovered the body on Monday at roughly 10:20 a.m. from Lake Ontario off Kingston’s shores.

There had been an ongoing search for the body by the unit since Saturday afternoon. According to the Whig-Standard, emergency services that were dispatched included the OPP, Kingston Police, Kingston Fire and Rescue, the South Frontenac Fire and Rescue in a rescue boat and helicopter assistance from The Joint Rescue Coordination Center (JRCC) from Trenton.

Constable Roop Sandhu, Media & Community Relations Frontenac Detachment, said investigators have not deemed the incident “suspicious” and they “do not suspect any misadventure”.

Sandhu said he has been in contact with Campus Security about the incident. The student’s identity will likely be released tomorrow morning, according to Sandhu.

At roughly 3:40 p.m. on Monday, Queen’s released the following statement from Principal Woolf:

“It is with great sadness that I share the news of the death of a Queen’s student over the past weekend. On behalf of the university, I offer my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

For anyone at Queen’s in need of support I encourage you to contact Student Wellness Services at 613-533-6000 ext. 78264 and/or University Chaplain Kate Johnson at 613-533-2186. After hours, I encourage students to contact Campus Security at 613-533-6733.”

ferry, Lake Ontario, OPP, Wolfe Island