Newly-hired commissioners to be ratified at AMS Assembly

Feb. 11 AMS Assembly preview: motions to lobby the federal government proposed 

At today’s AMS Assembly, assembly will vote whether to ratify newly-hired AMS commissioners and authorize efforts to lobby the federal government.

They’ll also be discussing the Clubs Office and its new place in the AMS following last meeting’s vote to replace the Commission of Internal Affairs with an AMS Secretariat.

The meeting will be held at the New Medical Building at 7 p.m. The full agenda can be viewed here.

Ratification of newly-appointed Commissioners and Directors

The AMS Assembly will vote on motions approving the newly-hired AMS Executive Team for the 2016-17 academic year.

Motions to authorize lobbying of the federal government on student issues

The AMS has put forth motions to authorize the AMS executive to lobby the Federal Government of Canada on issues related to the Canada Student Loan Program, federal research funding, employment for international students and federal programs that affect the employment of new graduates.

The assembly agenda cites the financial difficulties domestic and international students face when paying tuition as reasons for lobbying the government.

Discussion to be held on Clubs Office, Clubs Caucus and AMS Council

The AMS Assembly is scheduled to hold a discussion regarding the Clubs Office, Club Caucus and the AMS Council after the dissolution of the Commission of Internal Affairs (CIA). The Clubs Office, which previously reported to the CIA, will now report to the Vice President (University Affairs).

AMS, AMS Assembly, AMS Preview