Queen’s student charged in hit & run

On Monday night, a 22-year-old Queen’s student was charged with five offences after a hit and run. The driver was identified as Steven G. Trojanovic, a defencemen for the Queen’s varsity hockey team.

The student stuck a 19-year-old female pedestrian with his vehicle while traveling eastbound on Colborne St., according to the Kingston Police report. 

The collision reportedly caused the woman to go airborne before landing in the street, according to the Kingston Whig-Standard.

Const. Steve Koopman, media relations officer for the Kingston Police, told the Whig-Standard the driver stopped momentarily but then carried on in a “reckless and relatively dangerous manner”.

“He was quickly identified and arrested by Kingston Police,” Koopman told the Whig-Standard.

After he was measured to be three times over the legal blood alcohol limit, the student was charged with driving while impaired, blowing over 80 mg of alcohol, dangerous driving and two criminal code violations. One violation was for failure to stop for the pedestrian and the other for hitting a parked vehicle.

The female victim suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries.