Men’s volleyball drops OUA semifinal

Queen's dropped the OUA semifinal to Ryerson 3-1.
Image by: Auston Chhor

While they overpowered the York Lions last week, men’s volleyball couldn’t seal the deal in the OUA semifinal on Thursday night in Hamilton.

After Queen’s took the first set in the OUA semifinal over Ryerson, the Rams stormed back with three consecutive victories to claim the win by a 3-1 score.

All four sets of the match at McMaster — were incredibly tight. Tied at 18 in the first set, Queen’s went on a 7–4 run to close it out, ending with a kill from OUA Rookie of the Year Chris Brunet.

Queen’s started off the second set with three straight points. However, Ryerson came back firing, taking eight of the next 10 points to pick up an 8-5 lead. The teams exchanged leads back and forth for the remainder of the set, eventually being pushed to a 24-24 tie. Queen’s was called on a violation with Ryerson up 25-24, ending the set in favour of the Rams.

The Gaels brought the score tight in the third set as well, pulling as close as 24-23, but the Rams again pulled away to take a 2-1 lead. The third set was last tied at 20-20, while ending in a 25-22 score.

Jamie Wright led the Gaels with 44 assists, while Mike Tomlinson was Queen’s top offensive player with 24 kills.

The Gaels will play the Waterloo Warriors Friday in the OUA bronze medal match. With a win, Queen’s will go to the CIS championship next week, as the top three seeds from the OUA advance.

Jamie Wright, Men's Volleyball, Mike Tomlinson, Ryerson Rams