Trailer catches fire in University District

Residents unsure of cause, suspect night visitors

The trailer caught fire at Johnson and Collingwood Streets. No one was hurt in the fire.
The trailer caught fire at Johnson and Collingwood Streets. No one was hurt in the fire.
Photo: 

Move-out week can be a stressful time for students, but for five Queen’s students, their Sunday included a trailer fire.

Just before noon on April 24, a trailer parked at the corner of Johnson and Collingwood Streets burst into flames. The occupants of the adjacent house quickly evacuated after they were alerted by a passerby knocking at their door.

The occupants — fourth-year students Anthony Scheeren, Owen Collins, Andrew Ma, Andrew Papadakis and Mark Dawson — said Kingston Fire and Rescue Services was on the scene almost immediately. 

“Within three minutes or so,” Scheeren said. He added that they were lucky that the house or the surrounding foliage hadn’t caught fire. None of the residents understood why the trailer went up in flames. 

Collins added that they “had a theory” about the cause of the fire. People had visited the trailer the previous night and rifled through the contents with a flashlight, the students said.

“Maybe they tossed a cigarette butt in there, and it took until morning to catch,” Scheeren said. He and the other occupants couldn’t say for sure, however. 

Kingston Fire and Rescue put out the fire without damage to the surrounding buildings, and none of the occupants were injured. 

Moving forward, the soon-to-be-graduates say they're optimistic that the rest of move-out week will go more smoothly.

When commenting, be considerate and respectful of writers and fellow commenters. Try to stay on topic. Spam and comments that are hateful or discriminatory will be deleted. Our full commenting policy can be read here.