Key moments of the match: men's soccer

Gaels suffer their first defeat of the year at home

Forward Jacob Schroeter (left) jumping over the Carleton keeper
Forward Jacob Schroeter (left) jumping over the Carleton keeper.

In a game of firsts, not all were positive.

The men’s soccer team played their first home game in the newly reopened Richardson Stadium this Sunday, but ended with their first loss of the season.

The Carleton Ravens beat the Gaels 4-2, as they dropped to third place in the division.

Below is The Journal’s top moments of the action-packed and eventful game.

#1: Keeper Kyle Lanzinger’s mid-air save

Gaels keeper Kyle Lanzinger was tested often throughout the match — making 10 saves of 14 shots on target — but his best came at the 15-minute mark of the first half.

The Gaels were down 1-0 and the net was swarmed with players in white Carleton jerseys. The Ravens had two men going for the net on the right side of the field, who delivered a well-played fake out, sliding the ball from between the feet of one player right into the other’s path, eliciting gasps from the crowd.

Lanzinger was heavily outnumbered and the well-struck shot by Carleton looked as though it would put the Gaels deeper in a hole, but Lanzinger’s well-timed jump managed to keep the ball out of the net, much to the crowd’s delight.

#2: Tonko Bacelic’s two-on-one goal

After a discouraging first half, the Gaels found themselves down 2-0.

Midfielder Tonko Bacelic managed to open the second half with a goal for the Gaels to breathe life into the team.

Early in the second half, Bacelic picked up a perfect pass from Brian Jimenez-Lopez, fed between the feet of two defenders to create a two-on-one scoring opportunity. As the crowd went silent, Bacelic managed to beat out the defender to send the ball to the back corner of the net with a beautiful shot.

The play ignited cheers from the Gaels fans, and briefly quieted the rowdy Ravens support.

Unfortunately, the goal wasn’t enough to make a difference for Queen’s. Throughout the match, there were nine cards handed out. During the physical match, Gaels defender Kristian Zanette picked up a red card for a penalty he conceded in the 18-yard box, forcing the Gaels to play the last 20 minutes one man down. After going down 4-1 in the 74th minute, the deficit was too large to come back from, leaving the Gaels with their first loss of
the year.

The Gaels will look to come back from the loss with a game against the Ryerson Rams on Saturday at Miklas-McCarney Field at 3:15 p.m. 

All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to

When commenting, be considerate and respectful of writers and fellow commenters. Try to stay on topic. Spam and comments that are hateful or discriminatory will be deleted. Our full commenting policy can be read here.