On-campus break-and-enters produce bizarre thefts

Multiple cases of B&E in September cause confusion among staff

Image supplied by: Journal file photo
An entire section of Mac-Corry had to have locks replaced after all the offices were rifled through

Household burglary in the University District is regrettably commonplace, but in the first month of the fall term, it seems thieves have shifted their focus from students to professors.

Since Sept. 2, Campus Security has responded to six report of breaking and entering at buildings on campus.

According to David Patterson, the Director of Campus Security and Emergency Services, two reports were filed in Mac-Corry offices, two in the JDUC, one at Richardson Stadium and one at the International Learning Centre.

While all the reports were filed with the Kingston Police (KP), according to KP Media Relations Officer Steve Koopman, the victims of the incidents weren’t always informed immediately.

In the case of the first JDUC incident, a brick was hurled through the window of Oil Thigh designs and the cashbox stolen from inside during the early hours of the morning.

“The keyholder was unable to be reached,” Koopman said. “That’s quite common at two in the morning.”

In a separate campus break-in, an entire section of the Mac-Corry offices was ransacked and all the offices were rifled through on Saturday.

Members of the sociology department on the fourth floor of Mac-Corry were not informed that their offices had been broken into until nearly a week after the actual incident occurred.

Administrative assistant Wendy Schuler explained to The Journal that they weren’t notified that the office had been violated, as it occurred over the weekend when they were away.

“The girls came in to work and found that their door was open and things had been flipped over.”  

“I was informed when I got to work on Tuesday, and apparently the incident occurred on Saturday,” she said, shaking her head as she recounted the incident.

Schuler also noted that there was speculation among the department that a master key was taken from the offices. Since they weren’t given a warning after the events, the offices could likely have been left vulnerable for five days straight.

According to Koopman, in the sociology department there was damage found around the door of the first office that was entered.

Found on the office floor was a screwdriver, several drill bits, and on the desk counter was a black leather case filled with screwdrivers and pliers. There was also some wood dust found on the tile floor.

For an operation that required so much equipment, very little was actually taken.

According to Schuler, “there [were] some odd things taken. Like a kettle, and eyeglasses. All the laptops in this room were strewn around, but none taken.”

It was later discovered that the head of the department had his laptop, containing lecture slides, stolen from his office.

“Chairs were flipped over,” she said. “I honestly don’t know what they were after.” Filing cabinets were also opened with stolen keys, and thoroughly rifled through.

Quick to be clear on the gravity of the situation, Schuler added that though that wing of Mac-Corry contained student information, those cases “were locked and they weren’t touched.”

The sociology department has since had their locks changed, although it is unclear whether the other B & E victims have followed suit.

B&E, break in, Campus security, Kingston Police, Mac-Corry, police, Sociology, theft