Apps to keep you healthy

Using what’s on your phone to help your body and mind

While technological tools aren’t enough to change your activity levels on their own, they can help kick-start your healthy habits.

A recent study, published by the American Heart Association demonstrated that using apps contributed to heart health among participants. Using apps and the Internet helped people drink less, smoke less and lose weight in a healthy way, lowering the risk of heart disease. 

While we can’t conclude that apps or technology are the only step to healthy living, they can help in taking ownership of your own health and wellness, which research shows is the best thing you can do. I hope some of these, or the concept of using apps, will be helpful to you at the gym, in the kitchen or during your daily lives. 

Here are a few apps that can help organize and balance your time:

Health

iOS – Health

The Health app makes it easier to keep track of your health and wellness data, focusing on four areas: activity, sleep, mindfulness and nutrition.

Health can be synced with multiple iPhones and has a downloadable portion for Android that allows you to track your steps. It also allows you to input your allergies, medications, and emergency health contacts, which can be displayed without opening your phone. This is perfect if you have a chronic health condition or may unintentionally end up in a situation where you don’t have your wits about you.

Seven

Seven – 7 Minute Workout Challenge | Perigee

Scientific 7 minute workouts. Using nothing more than a chair, a wall, and your own body weight, you can accomplish a daily physical workout that will dramatica

Seven provides guided seven-minute workouts on your phone. One of the biggest barriers to exercise is a lack of time, this knocks down that barrier and offers quick workouts you can do anywhere.

Mint

Mint for Canada

Does Mint support my Bank? Mint supports most Canadian banks, including RBC, TD, Scotiabank, Bank of Montreal, HSBC, Canadian Tire, Tangerine, American Express Canada, National Bank of Canada, Desjardins, Capital One, and many more. Does Mint support French? Nous sommes désolés, but not yet.

Our financial health is not something we often focus on, but can lead to significant stress. 

Mint is an app recommended by many banks that allows you to create a budget and syncs with your accounts to automatically update and let you know how well you are following your budget. 

StrongLifts

StrongLifts 5×5 Apps for IPhone and Android (Free Download)

My team has created StrongLifts 5×5 apps to coach you through each StrongLifts 5×5 workout on your iPhone/iPod and Android device (Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola, Google, etc). When we created these apps, my goal was to build a tool that would “coach you virtually” as if I was there training with you so you get stronger and build muscle as quickly as possible.

StrongLifts is a weight lifting program that can significantly increase your maximum reps. This app helps you keep track of your lifts without pen and paper, has a timer for rests between sets and helps you set achievable goals so it’s effective for those already lifting and beginner’s alike. Strength training can be useful to build your lean body mass, — the body weight you carry that isn’t fat, and to strengthen your bones.

Nike+ Training Club

Nike+ Training Club – Android Apps on Google Play

Workouts, Training Plans & Motivation from the World’s Best Trainers & Athletes

Nike+ Training Club is an excellent app that allows you to make your own training program and follow it throughout the week. It coaches you through each workout and is basically a virtual personal trainer! It also contains short 15-minute workouts if you don’t want to commit to a four week program. 

Other apps to try are SWORKIT that provides bodyweight exercises for at home or Skimble which has a variety of ways to plan workouts; by muscle group or by your fitness level or based on a program you make. I use these to help me at the gym when I’m feeling lost or need more structure to my workout. I feel like if I know what I have to get through, I am less likely to waste time and get the most out of my efforts.

Vent

Vent – Express your feelings with people who care.

Vent helps you connect to a supportive, positive, and understanding community, making it easy to share your feelings with people around the world. Free on Android and iOS.

Vent is an app that allows people to anonymously express their feelings. Users can write their own posts or offer support to other users. It’s features include making your account secure and private, along with tagging posts by associated feeling. 

While emotional and mental wellbeing are complicated issues to address, expressing one’s feelings can help alleviate stress.

DoYogaWithMe

Free Online Yoga Videos – Classes and Poses | DoYogaWithMe.com

Online yoga videos from DoYogaWithMe.com. We offer 100% free, high-definition, streaming yoga videos, including classes, yoga poses, breathing exercises, yoga programs, and audio meditations.

DoYogaWithMe is a website that provides hundreds of free online yoga classes catered to any level/need. It is an excellent resource, much less costly than a membership and highly recommended. Disclaimer: We know this is not an app but we could all use a little more meditation and self-awareness in our days!

MyFitnessPal

Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

Free online calorie counter and diet plan. Lose weight by tracking your caloric intake quickly and easily. Find nutrition facts for over 2,000,000 foods.

MyFitnessPal can be used to search for the nutritional makeup of any food you are eating. It even allows you to scan barcodes for bought items and inputs the nutritional content. As with any form of food monitoring, it’s important to take in all of the nutrition facts and not just use the app to calorie count. These apps can be helpful to make you more aware of food’s nutritional breakdown, but shouldn’t be used to track your caloric intake.