Second Grocery Checkout location to open in JDUC

After 20 years, Ye Olde Tuck Shoppe closes its doors

Vacant space in the JDUC where the Tuck Shoppe once was.

A new addition could be coming to the JDUC as early as Homecoming weekend says Student Life Centre Managing Director, Sam Anderson.

In place of the recently-closed Tuck Shoppe, a second location for the Grocery Checkout store in the ARC will be popping up across from the Khao restaurant in the JDUC within the next couple of months.

Unlike the carbon-copied Tim Hortons locations across the street from one another, Anderson said this second location will add a little more variety to the Grocery Checkout inventory.

“They’re going to be offering a different selection of things than their location in the ARC, mainly hot and ready food,” he said.

Ye Olde Tuck Shoppe, the former tenant, graced the halls of the JDUC for over 20 years. The couple who originally ran the store had decided not to renew their lease for the 2016 school year, choosing instead to retire.

Last year, the AMS did a survey to see what students wanted in the JDUC. After undergoing a process with Queen’s and the SGPS, who share the space, Grocery Checkout was settled upon as the best option.

Hoping to have a quick turnaround, physical renovations to the space started in August, with the hope that it’ll be finished by mid-October.

Looking towards the future of the JDUC, Anderson says there’s the possibility for significant changes down the line. “We know the students like [Grocery Checkout],” he said. “And we were able to secure a short term lease.”

The short term lease is important to both Anderson and the other parties involved in the JDUC, especially in terms of developing plans to modify the JDUC in the future, along with students.

Shorter lease terms allow for a wider range of businesses to be switched in, which will give students the opportunity for feedback.

“In the future, we may see a whole slew of commercial tenants in the JDUC,” Anderson said. Other services in consideration include cellphone repair, dry cleaning services and a bank branch.

AMS, Grocery checkout, JDUC, Sam Anderson, tuck shoppe