Golf teams finishes strong in OUA championships

Robyn Campbell wins silver, men’s team takes bronze

Robyn Campbell won silver at the OUA Championships.
Image supplied by: Supplied by Edwin Tan

Entering the season as 2015 OUA bronze medalists, both the men’s and women’s golf teams continued their rise to the upper echelon of the collegiate scene as they wrapped up their regular season with a great performance at the OUA Championship at the Ambassadors Golf Club in Windsor.

Both teams were coming off a national university championship earlier this spring where the men’s team finished third and women’s sixth. To prove that Queen’s improved play was more than a fluke, the teams entered ready to win. 

The women’s team was in medal contention all year long, taking home three team medals, including a team gold and individual podium sweep at the Queen’s Invitational in September. In the OUA Championship, the women’s team started strong, ending the first round of the two-day tournament behind the Toronto Varsity Blues and Waterloo Warriors in third place. In the second round, the Western Mustangs overtook the Gaels, as Queen’s finished fourth overall.

On top of solid team performance, Robyn Campbell landed a second place finish, earning herself an individual silver medal. 

“I had a couple of holes that I wish I could have back that could have led me to the gold medal, but over years of competitive golf I’ve learned how to spin the mistakes into something positive, and how to learn from them,” she said. 

The men’s team also capped off the regular season with a medal at the OUA Championships. Looking to continue their rise, the men’s team came close to sweeping the board this year, taking home four golds and a silver medal in team competitions. 

Queen’s had solid individual performances led by Ian Wilson and Jeremy Rose, with Wilson placing sixth at the tournament with a score of 143 over the two days, while Rose shot 146, finishing in 18th place. Wilson earned a OUA second team all-star spot while the Gaels walked off with a bronze medal for their second straight year at the OUA Championship.

While their season is over, Queen’s golfers aren’t done yet. With both teams qualifying for the Canadian University Championships in the spring, they will be working hard to show their emerging presence in Canada. 

“Both teams have a lot of depth, and it will be exciting to see how we do in the spring and in the seasons to follow,” Campbell said.

Golf, OUA championships