Agreement allows computing students to transfer between Queen’s and Dubai

Canadian University of Dubai students will have the chance to learn at Queen’s for last two years of study 

Image supplied by: Photo supplied by Queen's Communications
Provost Benoit-Antoine Bacon and President and CUD Vice-Chancellor Karim Chelli.

With the signing of a new agreement between Queen’s and the Canadian University of Dubai (CUD), a strange equation may find two plus two equalling 20. 

The “2+2” pathway program is now set to allow up to 20 students from the CUD to transfer into the Queen’s School of Computing for their third and fourth years of study. 

According to The Gazette, officials from the CUD visited Kingston on Oct. 26 to sign off on the final agreements between universities. 

Speaking to The Journal via email, Interim Vice-Dean of Arts and Science J. Hugh Horton said this wasn’t the first of these partnerships for Queen’s to be involved in, and hopefully one that will blossom to include future programs. 

“The Faculty of Arts and Science has many similar types of partnerships with universities and colleges across the world, and within Canada,” he wrote. 

“Some examples include 2+2 programs with Beijing Normal and Tongji University in China, our recently launched Bachelor of Music Theatre with St. Lawrence College here in Kingston, as well as several other combined certificate/bachelors’ programs with St. Lawrence.” 

This program will be the first of its kind within the United Arab Emirates, and for now will be limited to the School of Computing. When asked why that specific program had been chosen, Horton stated that the limitation was primarily due to the early stage of collaboration. 

“This is one area of particular academic strength of CUD, and where there is strong student interest,” he wrote. 

“Once the partnership has been in place for several years and students have moved through the academic program, we will evaluate progress and decide whether we will strategically expand the range of programs available to CUD students.”

After transferring to Queen’s, incoming students from CUD will be given the same degree opportunities in Canada as those who have spent their whole tenure in Kingston. 

“Assuming they meet the Queen’s degree requirements, in exactly the same way as any Queen’s student, they will be granted a Queen’s degree,” Horton wrote. 

Within Arts and Science, if students have taken at least 50 per cent plus one of their courses at Queen’s, they’re eligible for a degree from Queen’s, he explained.

“This allows us to attract a wide spectrum of students to our campus, provide the widest range of international experiences, and accommodate those who, for various reasons, need to study away from Kingston.” 

2+2, agreement, Canadian University of Dubai, Computing, CUD, Dubai